Docker definitions location

Hi,

New to the unRAID universe and docker containers, so I'm probably just not experienced enough yet.

Anyway: I have created a uTorrent container because I don't like Deluge, qBittorrent and can't get rTorrent to work. I did get the uTorrent container to work on the first try, so there's that. In any case, the included webui.zip contains a slightly broken version of the uTorrent webui and as such I'd like to change that for a version that isn't broken. I downloaded the webui.zip file into the container and did a hard refresh of the web page, and everything works fine until I restart the container. After the restart, the old slightly-broken webui is back.

Given how containers work I guess that's to be expected, but I can't figure out how to make my changes stick. I found a page talking about having to commit the changes, which I don't know how I would go about doing.

Another thing is whether the changes I make be submitted to the original container image at hub.docker.com, or if they will remain local to my server?

As I said, it works fine except for the included webui.

Any help and/or pointers to how to do this are most appreciated.

11 minutes ago, Squid said:

If you're tossing that file directly into the container (ie: docker exec), then any update to the container will undo your changes (by design)

If you're tossing that file into the appdata share then it should survive any updates.

Right, but utserver looks for the webui.zip file in /var/local/utserver, and the settings directory is /var/local/utserver/settings... How hard would the container break if I map the settings directory to /var/local/utserver, seeing as that's where the binary and everything lives?

Edit: The answer: Brutally.

docker: Error response from daemon: OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:349: starting container process caused "exec: "/var/local/utserver/utserver": stat /var/local/utserver/utserver: no such file or directory": unknown.

So essentially that means I still need to be able to somehow make changes to the container and commit them to make them stick.

Edited by reverend remiel
19 hours ago, trurl said:

Did you install the container using the Apps page? If so then you can go directly to the correct support thread for your container by clicking on its icon and selecting Support. Maybe you could get the changes you want there. 

No, as there were no uTorrent containers available in Apps, I had to create my own template and got the unRAID Docker manager thing to pull an image from dockerhub. I then added paths and ports to it and made it work that way.

After changing the settings of the container template I made and with a subsequent restart of the container, however, the changes within the container were blown away. So I added the webui.zip file to it again, committed the changes, somehow made a new image, created a dockerhub account, pushed my image there, changed my unRAID container to use my image, updated it and IT BLOODY WORKS! HAHA!

I have no idea what I did, but it works. Probably not the best starting point, but there you go.

• 5 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 10:25 AM, reverend remiel said:

No, as there were no uTorrent containers available in Apps, I had to create my own template and got the unRAID Docker manager thing to pull an image from dockerhub. I then added paths and ports to it and made it work that way.

After changing the settings of the container template I made and with a subsequent restart of the container, however, the changes within the container were blown away. So I added the webui.zip file to it again, committed the changes, somehow made a new image, created a dockerhub account, pushed my image there, changed my unRAID container to use my image, updated it and IT BLOODY WORKS! HAHA!

I have no idea what I did, but it works. Probably not the best starting point, but there you go.

Followup to this one:

uTorrent 2.2.1 was old, insecure and slow and started crashing on me. Additionally, it didn't really play that well with {son,rad,lid}arr, so in the end I ripped it out and took the time to set up qBittorrent properly. Now everything works perfectly.

Edited by reverend remiel