no longer able to access network since pushing upgrade to 6.9.2 out

old version 6.8.3 

upgrading to 6.9.2

I made a backup of the flash before I pushed the upgrade

so downloaded the upgrade from within the web GUI and started the install, then i stopped my array and rebooted unraid

since doing this I can no longer ping the server.

I connected a monitor to the server and i have went into gui mode in the server and it is not able to load the gui via localhost from here

I then opened a terminal to look and see if the IP has been lost but when doing ifconfig eth0 it is displaying this error - "error fetching interface information: device not found"

i am not 100% clued up in linux hence why i have got logs and reaching out here for assistance before i try anything else

thanks in advance for your assistance if you need anything else please just ask, hopefully this is a easy fast fix.

edit: also tried to ping the gateway from within the server terminal and it failed

tower-diagnostics-20210413-1051.zip

Edited by LoyalScotsman

decided just to restore from a backup and all is running again

So i shall  have a look more into what could have caused the problem i suspect maybe a plugin i should have removed but didnt 

doing a parity check now so shall need to wait 10/12 hours for that to complete before i try again 

Edited by LoyalScotsman

Those diagnostics are from 6.8.3 so they don't show the problem. If you are willing to try again, I would set Settings -> Disk Settings -> Enable auto start to "No", that way if you have to turn the system off it will not force a parity check since the array won't be running.

Once in 6.9.2, at a terminal window you can type "diagnostics" and that will put the diagnostics on your flash drive so you can attach it here.

Also, try booting 6.9.2 in safe mode to rule out issues with plugins. Go ahead and get diagnostics in safe mode too.

14 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Those diagnostics are from 6.8.3 so they don't show the problem. If you are willing to try again, I would set Settings -> Disk Settings -> Enable auto start to "No", that way if you have to turn the system off it will not force a parity check since the array won't be running.

Once in 6.9.2, at a terminal window you can type "diagnostics" and that will put the diagnostics on your flash drive so you can attach it here.

Also, try booting 6.9.2 in safe mode to rule out issues with plugins. Go ahead and get diagnostics in safe mode too.

thank you for the response

I had already set the array to not auto start so not sure why it decided to run a parity check.

yeah i am up for trying again i shall do that this morning and update on here with how it goes.

16 hours ago, ljm42 said:

so i tried again and the following happens, i stop the array and push the update through so on the update screen it will display that the update has been successful, image below just for reference to where i am referring to, but ever time on reboot it seems to not upgrade and stays on version 6.8.3

image.thumb.png.7107cc27bb1ca1d3302c5f068c70d19a.png

I also followed the below forum page to manually upgrade but again it doesn't upgrade when it goes to the boot screen it still says 6.8.3

but after i pushed the update and reboot, the server then becomes unresponsive to pings and the GUI cannot be loaded also tried to load gui in safe mode 

I have the 2 logs that you suggested me to get below -

"tower-diagnostics-20210414-0957" is the terminal logs without safemode

"tower-diagnostics-20210414-1015" is the terminal logs while in safemode and no plugins

also another note i have disklocation plugin i removed this as well and tried to upgrade with no change "this cant be updated because the new update is only for 6.9.0

image.thumb.png.f9f84d905f42c7f722acf70a9778b413.png

another note, after the first update i did the reboot and i left the server around 15/20 mins before doing another restoring 

any help would be appreciate because i really want to upgrade to 6.9.0, also another side note after restore and starting the array it has started another parity check

tower-diagnostics-20210414-0957.zip tower-diagnostics-20210414-1015.zip

6 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Agreed, something about the upgrade is failing. These two diagnostics show the system is still booting in 6.8.3, but then it crashes. I'm guessing some of the files were not copied to the flash correctly. It may be that your flash drive is failing. 

yeah its a strange one.

So i will try this again at the end of the month and i shall also pick up another usb, i will update here once i try it again.

thanks for your input

just an update new USB purchased and unraid has now been restored to new USB as well as the license key being applied to the new key

just awaiting the parity check to complete due to a restore being done

once the parity check has completed i will try and push the upgrade to  6.9.2 again, fingers crossed this time 

On 4/15/2021 at 3:55 AM, ljm42 said:

Agreed, something about the upgrade is failing. These two diagnostics show the system is still booting in 6.8.3, but then it crashes. I'm guessing some of the files were not copied to the flash correctly. It may be that your flash drive is failing. 

I would like to advice after restoring to a new USB drive it has aloud me to upgrade to 6.9.2 not sure why my old USB failed to do so 

• 1 year later...
On 4/21/2021 at 11:57 PM, LoyalScotsman said:

I would like to advice after restoring to a new USB drive it has aloud me to upgrade to 6.9.2 not sure why my old USB failed to do so 

@LoyalScotsmancan you tell me what steps you took to restore to a new USB drive? I don't want to lose settings to my dockers(especially the ones with file backups)