unRAID Suddenly Stops Booting [SOLVED]

First, a bit of background: I am running unRAID 4.6 final on a SanDisk Cruzer 4GB USB Drive formatted in FAT32. I am using an Asus M4A78LT-M as my motherboard. Now, my wife and I decided we were going to upgrade from the Basic version of unRAID to the Plus version today. We went in, followed the instructions on the e-mail and got the key entered just fine. We go to reboot the server and it gives me a big 'ol "Reboot and Select proper Boot device of Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" message. Now, this was the first reboot we'd done in about two months and everything had been fine up until that point.

To troubleshoot, we tried switching USB ports on the motherboard. We tried adjusting the BIOS and checking the boot configuration. We tried removing the key entry from the config folder. We tried reformatting the flash drive in both FAT and FAT32 with a clean install of 4.6 and a backup of our original image (with config files). We are absolutely baffled as to what is going on so here I am to ask for some advice as to which direction to head in.

Thank you in advance!

Alright, not to double-post, but we solved the problem. It looks like the motherboard has a bug (that there might even be a BIOS upgrade for, I'm not sure). Basically, if you cannot get it to boot from USB, just mash F8 on startup and make sure it is set in the boot menu. I kept going to the boot menu in BIOS, but that wasn't quite enough for it to recognize the USB stick as the primary boot method.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the hint, i also have the problem that the M4A78LT-M likes to forget about the USB Stick as boot device.

I just now set it to force FDD and will see if it works in the next days.

I've only had the issue of it forgetting when you boot with a change in the SATA/USB config, i.e. you've added/removed a HD.

Otherwise I've rebooted a number of times and it is fine, even in auto mode in the USB configuration page :)