Formatting forever [4.7]

I noticed something on a client build that may be a bug with 4.7, or may just be a fluke.  I installed 10 precleared 2TB WD EARS (4k-aligned, no jumpers), assigned a parity drive and 9 data drives, and started off the parity sync.  As expected, all the data drives appeared unformatted at first.  I started off the formatting and then walked away.  Normally the formatting finishes within 15 minutes at most.  I came back hours later and it was still going.  Finally, the parity sync had completed, the drives had all spun down, but they were all still claiming to be 'formatting'.  At this point I captured the first syslog and powered down (from the system console, since I couldn't from the web GUI).

I powered up again and the system immediately went into a parity check (why? was the system console powerdown unclean? I though that issue was tackled many moons ago...).  All data disks still claimed to be unformatted.  I clicked the format button again and captured the second syslog.  Again I walked away and let it run.  After a normal amount of time the parity check finished (with no errors) and all the disks were properly formatted.  So at this point in time everything is normal.  Still, I figured I should share this abhorrent behavior in case it is some kind of bug.

The system specs are as follows:

Component (Quantity)

SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-O (1)

Intel Core i3-550 (1)

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/4G (1)

Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W (1)

NORCO RPC-4224 (1)

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (2)

NORCO C-SFF8087-D SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Internal Multilane SAS Cable (4)

NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) Cable (2)

Molex (5.25 Male) / Molex(2X 5.25 Female) Power Splitter Cable - 8in (6)

120mm fan wall bracket for RPC-4224, RPC-4220, RPC-4116, RPC-4020 (1)

Scythe SY1225SL12H 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan (3)

VANTEC SF8025L 80mm Case Fan (2)

Verbatim TUFF-'N'-TINY 4GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model 96815 (1)

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (10)

Single unRAID Server Pro Registration key (Limit of 22 drives) (1)

formattingforever.zip

I experienced a similar problem with 4.7 yesterday -- hit format, waited until the browser returned to idle, hit refresh on the browser and unRAID still said "unformatted disk(s) present". And it showed a format button.

So I tried again. And again. After a couple more attempts, I gave up and rebooted.

Then I tried the format again, and it worked first time.

I'll be formatting a 2TB drive soon as the pre-clear is done. Even though unRAID still does another "clear" on it. Weird.

No, if it is precleared properly it does not do a clearing of the drive.

unRAID itself does have to FORMAT the drive after it is added to the array.

I have had the issue mentioned in the title happen once to me before.  I don't know the exact cause of the issue but it seems like a condition of the mkreiserfs being called at essentially the same time on all drives in the system.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm having a related issue...

I've successfully per-cleared a WD 2TB EARS (unjumpered), stopped the array, assigned it to slot 5 (sde). As expected, the server tells me that a new disk was found, I click the box that "I'm sure I want to do this" (add to array), and then hit START.

Nothing happens thereafter though, even after a few more refreshes and a few more attempts. None of the disks actually come online, and I have no clue as to why. I haven't even gotten as far as seeing the "Format" button.

I'm attaching a syslog, and I'm also copying also the results from the pre-clear below. Not sure if rebooting the server would help, or anything...

Anyone have any insight into this? It'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

================================================================== 1.9

=                unRAID server Pre-Clear disk /dev/sde

=              cycle 1 of 1, partition start on sector 64

= Disk Pre-Clear-Read completed                                DONE

= Step 1 of 10 - Copying zeros to first 2048k bytes            DONE

= Step 2 of 10 - Copying zeros to remainder of disk to clear it DONE

= Step 3 of 10 - Disk is now cleared from MBR onward.          DONE

= Step 4 of 10 - Clearing MBR bytes for partition 2,3 & 4      DONE

= Step 5 of 10 - Clearing MBR code area                        DONE

= Step 6 of 10 - Setting MBR signature bytes                    DONE

= Step 7 of 10 - Setting partition 1 to precleared state        DONE

= Step 8 of 10 - Notifying kernel we changed the partitioning  DONE

= Step 9 of 10 - Creating the /dev/disk/by* entries            DONE

= Step 10 of 10 - Verifying if the MBR is cleared.              DONE

= Disk Post-Clear-Read completed                                DONE

Disk Temperature: 27C, Elapsed Time:  26:16:41

========================================================================1.9

==  WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0    WD-WCAZA5534462

== Disk /dev/sde has been successfully precleared

== with a starting sector of 64

============================================================================

** Changed attributes in files: /tmp/smart_start_sde  /tmp/smart_finish_sde

ATTRIBUTE  NEW_VAL OLD_VAL FAILURE_THRESHOLD STATUS      RAW_VALUE

Temperature_Celsius =  123    120            0        ok          27

No SMART attributes are FAILING_NOW

0 sectors were pending re-allocation before the start of the preclear.

0 sectors were pending re-allocation after pre-read in cycle 1 of 1.

0 sectors were pending re-allocation after zero of disk in cycle 1 of 1.

0 sectors are pending re-allocation at the end of the preclear,

the number of sectors pending re-allocation did not change.

0 sectors had been re-allocated before the start of the preclear.

0 sectors are re-allocated at the end of the preclear,

the number of sectors re-allocated did not change.

syslog.rtf.txt

I'll be formatting a 2TB drive soon as the pre-clear is done. Even though unRAID still does another "clear" on it. Weird.

You're doing it wrong then, or you don't understand what precleared means. A precleared drive can be added to an existing array as a new disk without unRAID doing it's own preclear. A precleared drive means nothing with a new array or when replacing a disk since in both of these cases either the parity or the data drive must be rebuilt.

Peter

• 2 months later...

I just had the same thing happen to me.  I let them run for over 24 hours and still the status was "formatting".  I just issued the powerdown command and the server is rebooting.  I will let you know if it corrects itself with the reboot.

Archived