Disks not filling up properly

strohann

Hi guys,

this is about a build of a customer:

I set up a new unraid box (2x 8 parrity, 7x 6 data), added some shares, installed krusader and now we wanted to copy files through unassigned disks to the array.

The first few terrabytes are now copied and everything was working fine - the first three datadisks filled up with high-water to like a half of it and now is the next drive in pipeline but on this drive the copy process keeps running until the drive is almost full. I now have 17GB free space but the new file is larger (23GB). And theres even more files.

First question: why are the previus drives only filling up half and this one untill it's full?
Second question: why does the copy process not jump to the next harddrive?

What I did so far:

I tried to set the "min free space" from 0 to 30GB.

I set new permissions fpr the shares und tools > new permissions

of course restarted ;)

Please, I need help :)

diag is attached

Thank you!!

tower-diagnostics-20210602-1222.zip

As per the built-in GUI help :

Determines whether a directory is allowed to expand onto multiple disks.

Automatically split any directory as required

When a new file or subdirectory needs to be created in a share, Unraid OS first chooses which disk it should be created on, according to the configured Allocation method. If the parent directory containing the new file or or subdirectory does not exist on this disk, then Unraid OS will first create all necessary parent directories, and then create the new file or subdirectory.

Automatically split only the top level directory as required

When a new file or subdirectory is being created in the first level subdirectory of a share, if that first level subdirectory does not exist on the disk being written, then the subdirectory will be created first. If a new file or subdirectory is being created in the second or lower level subdirectory of a share, the new file or subdirectory is created on the same disk as the new file or subdirectory's parent directory.

Automatically split only the top "N" level directories as required

Similar to previous: when a new file or subdirectory is being created, if the parent directory is at level "N", and does not exist on the chosen disk, Unraid OS will first create all necessary parent directories. If the parent directory of the new file or subdirectory is beyond level "N", then the new file or subdirectory is created on the same disk where the parent directory exists.

Manual:

do not automatically split directories When a new file or subdirectory needs to be created in a share, Unraid OS will only consider disks where the parent directory already exists.

Splitlevelsettings fixed the problem.

Thanks!!

Got another question to krusader, hope I don't have to start a new topic:
Every time I plug in an external hdd, krusader won't show it to me until I restart the container. Is this normal or is there a fix?

21 hours ago, strohann said:

Splitlevelsettings fixed the problem.

Thanks!!

Got another question to krusader, hope I don't have to start a new topic:
Every time I plug in an external hdd, krusader won't show it to me until I restart the container. Is this normal or is there a fix?

What access mode have you set in the drive mapping for Krusader?    I believe that for dynamic changes it needs to be one of the ‘slave’ modes.

13 hours ago, itimpi said:

What access mode have you set in the drive mapping for Krusader?    I believe that for dynamic changes it needs to be one of the ‘slave’ modes.

Sorry I don't know what you mean. Can you provide me the steps where I can find the settings?

1 hour ago, strohann said:

Sorry I don't know what you mean. Can you provide me the steps where I can find the settings?

• on the docker tab click on the container and select the Edit option
  • on a drive mapping click on the Edit option
  • on the resulting dialog there is an option to set the Access mode

You probably want to set the access mode on any path that allows access to your data files.