Raj's Prototype Designs [Discussion Thread]

SSD

I was finally able to log into the wiki with no issues, so I took the opportunity to update specs and prices of the Budget Box (US Version), 20 Drive Beast, 20 Drive Budget Beast, and 5 Drive miniBox recommended builds.  I was also surprised to see a new addition - the unRAID Me Box!  Hainix's site details his version of the US Budget Box with non-hot swap bays.  He also wrote up a short initial configuration tutorial.  Well done Hainix!

I also did some work in cleaning up and organizing the Other Hardware Recommendations section of the wiki.  Hope everyone likes the changes!  Coming soon, I plan to update my Prototypes thread to address some links to deactivated components as well as add some new upgrade options, such as quieter fans.

Edit: Done.  I added a recommended fan upgrade for any build that uses a Norco SS-500 or SS-400 drive cage.  I want to note that I don't consider the stock fans to be too loud, but some folks do.  If you are going to place one of these servers in a closet, garage, basement, or attic then you don't need to upgrade the fans.  If you are going to place the server in a noise sensitive area such as a living room, bedroom, or office then you most likely will want to upgrade the fans in the Norco cages to the quieter models I recommend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

New to this but looking for a case that will fit 3x ss-500 norco's, bumped intothis one and looks interesting. Was looking in forum and found a thread ( lost it now) where Rajahal was testing the same case. didn't find a review in the end. Case has 9 5,25 bays but will I be able to fit three ss-500 in it?

Wanting to build it with a i3 proc, can anyone recommend a mb for this?

Hi all,

New to this but looking for a case that will fit 3x ss-500 norco's, bumped intothis one and looks interesting. Was looking in forum and found a thread ( lost it now) where Rajahal was testing the same case. didn't find a review in the end. Case has 9 5,25 bays but will I be able to fit three ss-500 in it?

Wanting to build it with a i3 proc, can anyone recommend a mb for this?

Yes, all of the following cases will fit three of the Norco S-500 drive cages.

Budget Box Cases

Preferred:

Xigmatek Utgard Mesh CPC-T90DB-U03

Alternatives: (in order of my preference)

Antec 902

Antec 900

Azza Helios 910

Thermaltake V6

question,

are you looking for the I3 first gen or the Second Gen?

Is this question directed at me?  The hardware I've tested uses the first gen i3, but I'll be looking at the second gen i3 soon.

@Johnm

Was tired too when posting. Was thinking of second gen I3:

Was thinking of buying something like this:

Case : Nexus prominent 9

Scythe Shuriken Rev. B

€ 21,85

Cooler Master 4-in-3 Device Module

€ 16,95

Corsair Builder CX500 V2

€ 49,90

Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

€ 41,50

Asus P8H67-M LX

€ 78,90

Not sure if the PCI-e slots make a 15 drive setup possible?

@Rajahal

Forgot to ask the most important question, Now I know that this will fit, do I need to bend or dremel ridges for the norco's to fit and what tools do I need for this?

I am well curious about your review.

Thank you in advance people.

Takkie,

you build looks good on paper and should look very nice built.

more importantly, work smoothly.

Case : Nexus prominent 9

The prom9 is a beautiful case. It is a little expensive. but I love mine. and i got it almost totally silent.

[urlhttp://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12405.msg142540#msg142540]Pictures of mine with 2x 5in3' installed.[/url]

It will hold 3 5in3 cages, you DO have to bend the tabs.. the first one or two will suck. Once you get the hang of it, the rest should take on a minute each tops.

I would take the aluminum front plate off so you don't scratch the finish.

*do note, it DOES include 2 4in3's and 1 5'25 to 3.5" adapter (floppy drive adapter). BUT, only one of the 4in3's has a fan, you will need to buy another 120mm fan if you plan to use both (rip-off).

Scythe Shuriken Rev. B

I would assume so, sometimes these type of coolers could get in the way of the the RAM or 3in5 bays.

Cooler Master 4-in-3 Device Module

this will work. you just have to bend the tabs. if you are thinking 15 drives, you need 3x 5in3's instead. maybe buy one 5in3 now instead?

the case already has 2 of it's own with it.

Corsair Builder CX500 V2

That should be just fine. anything close to this that is on sale should be good.

Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

8Gb is plenty. if it works with the mobo, I like.

Asus P8H67-M LX

It looks good to me on paper. I have seen at least one other build with this mobo.

It looks to be fully compatible with unraid and and should support up to 22 drives.

with 2x saslp-mv8's the one connector is only 4x, so keep that in mind when ordering HBA's. Some of the new ones/LSI based are 8x.

also, it has been reported that LSI HBA's do not work in most of the asus P8x67 boards. thats fine, just keep that in mind.

the supermicro "should" be fine.

the realtek nic should be fine. you could always pick up a cheap intel pci nic if you want later.

Not sure if the PCI-e slots make a 15 drive setup possible?

yes, 22 drives with 2x 8 drive HBA's and the 6 onboard ports.

the case however has a 15 drive limit with 3x 5in3's

I would get 1 8drive HBA and 1 2port PCIe sata adapter. that will give you 16 drives. (15 for unraid and 1 for the esata port for preclears [in a toaster or esata case] or SNAP drives)

Actually, the Cooler Master internal 4-in-3 drive cages have cutouts, so I don't believe you'll need to flatten the 5.25" tabs.  If you find that you do, then I suggest using a deep C-clamp like this.  I generally wear padded bike gloves too, it makes it a bit easier on the hands.  If you use 5-in-3 cages to build a 15 drive server then you definitely will need to flatten the 5.25" tabs.

The Nexus Prominent 9 is a fantastic case.  I recently found the vendor Cool Tech PC who will sell the case for $100 + $23 shipping.  Best deal I've found on it.

@ Johnm & Rajahal,

Thank you for the prompt and elaborate answers to my questions. Am from the European continent, have to look for the parts around here. Especially the norco's are way more expensive on this side of the pond. :)

How deep (size) would you advise me to buy the c-clamp. Do not have anything like that lying around here.

Found a new (second hand one, should call it private open box I guess) case for 50 euro's. Am seriously considering buying that as a start for my first unraid system.

Ihope I am correct I have to use the c clamp to flatten the metal tabs in the case by applying pressure in the tabs on several places.

Ideally I would like to start off straight away with the three norco 5 in 3 bays but I could try the cheaper way by using the existing 4 in 3's and save for the 5 in 3's while I am expanding the array. Hope the floodings in Thailand do not drive the prices for disks up too much as that is what's happening here at the moment.

How do you guys solve the usb flash card issue, want to keep the case as clean as possible, so no usb on outside of case, are there solutions for that or should I try and find a pico usb drive with small form factor?

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning!  I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the 24 Drive Beast Build, but I have an excellent MB & Processor I'd like to repurpose.

I have the:

- ASRock 890FX Deluxe4 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157208

- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

Will this combo work with the 24 Drive Beast Build instead of the MB & Processor ID'd there?

24 Drive Beast (rackmount)
unRAID currently supports a maximum of 22 drives, but you can add more drives outside the parity protected array via SNAP
Mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-O
CPU: Intel i3 540 Clarkdale (the i3 530 and i3 550 are fine too, choose based on price and availability)
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W
Case: Norco 4224
SATA Expansion Cards:
    Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port SAS/SATA Add-on Card x 2
    SATA2 Serial ATA II PCI-Express RAID Controller Card (Silicon Image SIL3132) x 1
Cables:
    House Brand Molex 79576-3007 Mini SAS / SATA Cable x 2
    1m 30AWG Internal Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male to Mini SAS 36pin (SFF-8087) Male Cable x 4
    No SATA Cables needed
Fanplate: Norco 120mm fanplate *optional
Fans: (replacing the stock fans is optional, but recommended if quiet performance is desired)
   Nexus PWM Series D12SL-12PWM 120mm Case Fan x 3 *optional
   ARCTIC COOLING ACF8 Pro PWM 80mm Case Fan *optional
Hard Drives: Green drives (5400 rpm or 5900 rpm), such as WD Green, Hitachi CoolSpin, Samsung EcoGreen, and Seagate LP
Cost: $1090 (without the optional fans/fanplate) + shipping + cost of hard drives
Capacity: 40 TB + optional 2 TB cache + optional 4 TB extra space via SNAP
Expandability: None.

Thanks!!!

Good morning!  I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the 24 Drive Beast Build, but I have an excellent MB & Processor I'd like to repurpose.

I have the:

- ASRock 890FX Deluxe4 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157208

- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

Will this combo work with the 24 Drive Beast Build instead of the MB & Processor ID'd there?

A few red flags with your motherboard:

- no onboard video

- Realtek 8111E NIC (known to be incompatible with all but the newest unRAID betas)

The upside is that you have so many PCI and PCIe ports on that thing that you can easily add a cheap video card (PCI would be better, but PCIe would be OK too) and an Intel PCI NIC and overcome both of those limitations.  A PCI video card should run about $10 on ebay, and an Intel PCI NIC can be had for $25 - $30 on Newegg.

Your CPU is massively overpowered for unRAID, but it will certainly work.  If you plan to run any CPU-intensive add-ons such as video encoding (handbrake) or transcoding (airvideo), then the CPU would be at least partially used.  If not, then you might want to consider getting a cheap single or dual core AM3 CPU such as the Sempron 145 and putting your hexcore CPU to better use (or selling it).  A smaller CPU will save a bit of power as well.

You have 8 onboard SATA ports, meaning that you could add two Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards for a nice even total of 24 ports.  Sounds like a great plan to me!

I have the:

A few red flags with your motherboard:

- no onboard video

- Realtek 8111E NIC (known to be incompatible with all but the newest unRAID betas)

The upside is that you have so many PCI and PCIe ports on that thing that you can easily add a cheap video card (PCI would be better, but PCIe would be OK too) and an Intel PCI NIC and overcome both of those limitations.  A PCI video card should run about $10 on ebay, and an Intel PCI NIC can be had for $25 - $30 on Newegg.

Your CPU is massively overpowered for unRAID, but it will certainly work.  If you plan to run any CPU-intensive add-ons such as video encoding (handbrake) or transcoding (airvideo), then the CPU would be at least partially used.  If not, then you might want to consider getting a cheap single or dual core AM3 CPU such as the Sempron 145 and putting your hexcore CPU to better use (or selling it).  A smaller CPU will save a bit of power as well.

You have 8 onboard SATA ports, meaning that you could add two Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards for a nice even total of 24 ports.  Sounds like a great plan to me!

Raj, thanks for the reply.  Forgot to mention I'd be using a Zotac GeForce 8400GS 256MB DDR2 Low Profile 667MHz/1400MHz PCI-Express Graphics Card ZT-84MEG5M-HSL for the video card and an Intel PWLA8391GTBLK PRO/1000 GT Desktop Network Adapter for the LAN.  I have slowly been consolidating a lot of functions into unRaid, SAB, Sickbeard, Handbrake (could even through some VM type action on there), etc.  I realize the processors is probably overkill, but if it's just sitting there... right?

I have the:

It would be a bit of overkill, but you said "beast".

It looks like it would work.

THE ONLY issues that stand out:

Lack of onboard video (but it has plenty of video card slots)

it has a Realtek 8111E that is prone to have issues in unRAID. the latest beta (5.0b13) should support that card.

otherwise you would need to pick up an Intel card.

While i said it looks like it should work, I can not guarantee that the PICe16x slots will support an HBA card. In a few cases, this has been an issue. (google should be able to help you there.)

I realize the processors is probably overkill, but if it's just sitting there... right?

It will consume more power and cost more in the long-term, but it will also give you plenty of opportunity to play with any add-ons you may desire (such as VMs).  I suggest starting with it since you already have it, then you can always downgrade it later if you decide you want to make your server a bit more green.

I've got my case, the Nexus Prominent 9, looks good. Was thinking that it will take me some time to fill the standard 12 places for 3,5 inch HDD's, with two 4 in3 bays availiable in the case alreay. Am missing a third bay for 4 in 3 cage. Do you guys reckon I can adapt a coolermaster 4 in 3 bay to fit in witout the front installed, so only the bay and casefan?

Keeps the front nice and clean and still the possibility to implment 5 in 3 norco's later. Found website in the UK that sells 5 in 3 hotswap bays from same factory as Norco, the norco ss-500 for the equivalent of 96 dollars. Prices in Holland are 160 dollar equivalent for the Norco ss-500.

Bit by bit I am gathering my parts for the first unraid server ever build by me.

Should I start with filling the onboard sata ports first or should I start with filling the ports of a pci-e controllercard like this Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port SAS/SATA Add-on Card?

Want to use a cache drive and of course a paritydrive and want to start of properly straight away without having to switch ports all the time.

I have a kingston mobile lite g2 USB cardread doing nothing, could I use this with an sd card to make a flashdrive? What options do I have to place this inside the case one the motherboard?

Yes, you can use a Cooler Master 4-in-3 and remove the front bezel.  Others have done that same thing with success.

You should connect the parity and cache drives to motherboard SATA ports.  The data drives don't matter, they can use either the motherboard or controller card ports.  I would recommend filling the motherboard ports first, but ultimately it doesn't really matter.

The card reader you have should work fine.  There are lots of cheap USB adapters that will allow you to mount the card reader internally.  Here's an example of one for $3 that could easily be adapted to work: link.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Raj,

Any update on this?  Are you still considering the ECS A885GM-A2 (V1.1) AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard?

Thanks!

Yes, I've completed testing with the ECS A885GM-A2 and it works!  It will be my new recommended 20 Drive Budget Board.  I'm still in the midst of testing the 15 Drive Budget Board.  The boards I'm currently looking at are the Foxconn A88GMV (intermittent problems, still troubleshooting) and the MSI 760GM-P33 (good thus far, but still in early stages of testing).

I haven't decided which of your builds I want to tackle yet ;)

Would the ECS A885GM-A2 work if I wanted to start with 5 drive system and expand to 20 or would I be better off going the 5 to 15 route with the MSI board you are testing?

Thanks again!

I haven't decided which of your builds I want to tackle yet ;)

Would the ECS A885GM-A2 work if I wanted to start with 5 drive system and expand to 20 or would I be better off going the 5 to 15 route with the MSI board you are testing?

Thanks again!

There is no reason at all not to get the ECS A885GM-A2 for a 5 drive build. Especially if you are planning on going to a full sized monster later down the road. That board in theory can do a 20+ drive build (and the price is nice).

You start your server using just the motherboard controllers at first.

You would then add additional sata cards (SAS HBA cards) later on when you make the jump to the next level.

Chose a CPU based on your future plans.. small low power single core for just file serving OR a dualcore (or better) with some bite for  transcoding on the fly if needed?

RAM is at an all time low... stock up for the future...

The big question is the case, do you start with a smaller one know you will outgrow it?

I would recycle an older one you already have (keeping airflow in mind).

OR get a good high quality mid sized case that can hold more then 5 (8-15 might be a good start, then expand it to a monster case a year or two later if you outgrow it then repourpose it).

OR get a small cheap 5 drive $20 newegg special (with good airflow) and give it away way, repourpose it, or toss it out when you outgrow it. I missed it is a Full ATX board.

OR Buy the monster case up front and hope to fill it down the road... there is nothing wrong with only 5 drives in a 24 drive servers..

it is all about budget and spending. A few extra bucks over 2 years is sometimes easier then a giant chunk at once for most people...

Archived