Raj's Prototype Designs [Discussion Thread]

You should be fine to plug the 4 pin into the 3 pin headers.  You should also be ok to split the fans up as you mention about 2 on one port and 3 on the other fan port.

You will likely lose the ability for the motherboard to control the fan speed, but with 120mm fans and the ones you picked up you should be fine, even with them running at full speed.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should be fine to plug the 4 pin into the 3 pin headers.  You should also be ok to split the fans up as you mention about 2 on one port and 3 on the other fan port.

You will likely lose the ability for the motherboard to control the fan speed, but with 120mm fans and the ones you picked up you should be fine, even with them running at full speed.

Thanks for the help.

• 8 months later...

I built the 20 Drive (rackmount) budget build back in 2012, and followed the specs with the exception of using my existing Norco 4020 case and my existing Corsair TX850 PSU (specs are in my signature and I believe match the specs on the Greenleaf blog). I have finally reached the point where I need to add my second AOC-SASLP-MV8, but once I add the card my server will no longer shutdown. A shutdown command via software or the front panel hardware button causes the machine to turn off and then after a second or two it boots back up.

Removing either of the cards allows the machine to shutdown properly. Have you seen this with any of your builds? I've tried disabling all the onboard peripherals with the exception of the video, and I've disabled anything that looks related to WOL. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this.

Thanks in advance. I posted this question in the Hard Drives and Controllers subforum yesterday, but thought you may have seen this issue.