Raj's Prototype Designs [Discussion Thread]

I haven't decided which of your builds I want to tackle yet ;)

Would the ECS A885GM-A2 work if I wanted to start with 5 drive system and expand to 20 or would I be better off going the 5 to 15 route with the MSI board you are testing?

Thanks again!

The ECS A885GM-A2 is a full sized ATX motherboard, while I will always choose a microATX motherboard as a 15 drive budget board.  Most cases can handle both ATX and microATX motherboards, but an ATX board in a smaller case will be somewhat more cramped and a bit more difficult to work with.  I would suggest either going for the full 20 drive parts now (the ECS board and the larger case) or waiting for my 15 drive budget board testing to finish and decide your path at that point.  Since the ECS case is just $40 after rebate right now, I think that is the way to go at the moment.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Raj and Johnm for the responses.  I'm new to the unraid community and have been trying to learn all I can from this wonderful forum.  I'm excited about building the system, but being a newbie, I'm also a little apprehensive.  I'll keep you updated on the route I decide to go and my progress.

Regarding the ZOTAC GF6100-E-E AM3 board recommended in the small sever builds here.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500045

Can you build this MB into a good small always-on UnRAID server that can also handle processing Sab/Sickbeard?  Would a more powerful CPU and more DRAM be in order than what is recommended?  If so, what CPU is powerful but also not super power hungry and runs cool.  I'm not very knowledgable about AMD CPUs.  Thanks.

Regarding the ZOTAC GF6100-E-E AM3 board recommended in the small sever builds here.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500045

Can you build this MB into a good small always-on UnRAID server that can also handle processing Sab/Sickbeard?  Would a more powerful CPU and more DRAM be in order than what is recommended?  If so, what CPU is powerful but also not super power hungry and runs cool.  I'm not very knowledgable about AMD CPUs.  Thanks.

Yes, that motherboard is a fine basis for an always-on server.  To run add-ons such as SAB/Sickbeard, I recommend using 4 GB of RAM (which is the board's max).  The Sempron 145 should be fast enough to handle SAB/Sickbeard, as neither add-on is particularly CPU intensive.  However, if you wish to run video transcoding or encoding add-ons such as AirVideo or Handbrake, then I recommend you use a dual core CPU.  I would just choose the cheapest dual core CPU you can find, any of them will work.  There are no CPUs specifically designed for low power consumption that are compatible with this board.  For a lower-power server, you'll need to consider an i3 build using a different motherboard, which will be a much more expensive build.  However, the power consumption of the cheap Sempron and Athlon CPUs is nothing to scoff at either, they are reasonably efficient.  If you are looking for a budget-conscious build, I would go for the Zotac board, Sempron 145, and 4 GB of RAM and not think twice about it.

Raj and John,

Just wanted to report back to let you know that the new unraid server was a great success!  My father and I each built one in a days time.  The first one took 5 and half hours and the second only an hour :)

The drive bays just came in today (we went with SuperMicro since Norco's are out of stock everywhere).  The build quality seems really good.  It was a bit of a bear getting the drive tabs bent down in the case, but all in all it really wasn't too bad getting them to fit.  I'm a bit perplexed however on how to connect the led cables that came with the bays.  We ended up going with the A885GM-A2 motherboard.  Any tips would be appreciated.

Raj and John,

Just wanted to report back to let you know that the new unraid server was a great success!  My father and I each built one in a days time.  The first one took 5 and half hours and the second only an hour :)

The drive bays just came in today (we went with SuperMicro since Norco's are out of stock everywhere).  The build quality seems really good.  It was a bit of a bear getting the drive tabs bent down in the case, but all in all it really wasn't too bad getting them to fit.  I'm a bit perplexed however on how to connect the led cables that came with the bays.  We ended up going with the A885GM-A2 motherboard.  Any tips would be appreciated.

You won't be able to connect the LED cables that came with the Supermicro cages.  They are fan fail and overheat indicators, and they only work with Supermicro motherboards.  The drive power and activity LEDs should work normally.  I would recommend storing the LED cables somewhere just in case you wind up with a Supermicro board sometime in the future, or decide to resell the Supermicro cages.

Glad to hear you builds went well!  3 hours average per build certainly isn't bad!

Raj and John,

Your welcome, any time.

I like hearing posts like this. It is good to know a plan came together.

By now you probably noticed that the supermicro cages are a bit nosy. you can replace the fans with a slower RPM 92mm fan.

You could also just get fan controller(s). any 4 pin fan controller should be just fine. Personally I used a 3Pin and had to trim a little bit of a plastic shroud off one of the plugs. after tuning it all the way down, the drives are still nice and cool and the unit is now pretty much silent.

just keep an eye on the temps during a rebuild/parity check to make sure you didn't turn it down to slow if you go this route.

the Supermicro 5in3's are my preferred cages. that wasa good choice IMO.

as Raj pointed out, the cables are only for raid controllers. just set them aside. the data transfer lights work fine off the dives data connector and the fan error and over temp LEDS work fine without the cable also (know from experience).

PS. it is not about the time spent when it is a father-son project. Those are the kodak moments in life and good time well spent.

Raj and John,

Hi Erick,

So what case did you end up using? Mind sharing your parts list? The only problem with the unRAID forums  -- I make up my mind on what I want my build to be (15-drive using Nexus Prominent 9 case) and then I get greedy and start working on a 20-drive build using Antec 1200 case. It's like leaving a kid in a candy store. So many choices, so little time <sigh>.

Raj,

For your budget 15-drive build, have you looked at Asus M4A88T-M LE for $80 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131673)? Sorry if I missed it.

Raj,

For your budget 15-drive build, have you looked at Asus M4A88T-M LE for $80 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131673)? Sorry if I missed it.

No, I haven't looked at that board yet.  It looks like it might be a good fit, but it is just a bit expensive at the moment.  I generally aim for the $50 - $65 price range for budget boards.  Still, this is a good one to keep an eye on during sales!  Thanks for the recommendation!

Raj,

I see you don't mention the G620; but for a low power dual core build, according to my reading, it can't be beat.  Any particular reason?  Am I wrong about the power consumption? 

Thanks

It is on my short list for upcoming tests!  My current round of budget board testing is taking much longer than normal.  I'm hoping to finish it before the holidays...

Raj and John,

Hi Erick,

So what case did you end up using? Mind sharing your parts list? The only problem with the unRAID forums  -- I make up my mind on what I want my build to be (15-drive using Nexus Prominent 9 case) and then I get greedy and start working on a 20-drive build using Antec 1200 case. It's like leaving a kid in a candy store. So many choices, so little time <sigh>.

Raj,

Ashaneil,

Sorry for the delayed response.  Here is our parts list:

CASE ANTEC|TWELVE HUNDRED V3

PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-650TX 650W

FLASH 4G|KST MICSDHC SDC4/4GB

MEM 4Gx2|KST KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

MB ECS| A885GM-A2 (V1.1) 880G AM3

CPU AMD|ATH II X2 270 3.4G AM3

All the above was purchased through Newegg and we also added two supermicro drive bays (that we bought off Amazon).

We were struggling like you are initially on which route to go, but decided to allow for future growth. 

Thanks for your parts list, Erick. I am planning on allowing for future growth also. I am now leaning towards Norco 4220 case for my 20-drive build. Size wise, Norco 4220 is almost like Antec 1200 lying on its side :P. And to think that my initial project was to build a 3-6 drive unit.  Just hope that I am not being too greedy.

Thanks for your parts list, Erick. I am planning on allowing for future growth also. I am now leaning towards Norco 4220 case for my 20-drive build. Size wise, Norco 4220 is almost like Antec 1200 lying on its side :P. And to think that my initial project was to build a 3-6 drive unit.  Just hope that I am not being too greedy.

The Norco cases are a LOT longer than any tower computer, keep that in mind.  The face of the case is roughly the same size.

Its going on a baker's rack in the corner of my home office. Finally convinced the wife that the corner is being totally wasted and we NEED a baker's rack. She does not know any thing about the unRAID server and how big/noisy it will be. HAHAHA. If I get kicked out, I am going to be looking for a couch (hopefully I will be able to bring my unRAID server with me).

That's funny.....our initial project was going to be 3 to 6 drives also :)

Greedy??  Nah....I don't think there is such a thing as too much capacity is there?  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Raj,

You might like to know that both ECS and MSI boards you are testing are deactivated at newegg. They might not even restock them according to their info. Just wonder if you knew.

Thanks for the heads up husky55.  I've fallen pretty far behind on my budget board testing this time around.  I've mostly finished the testing, but been too distracted by other matters to get it done and post the write-up.  Looks like I may have missed the boat!

Edit: I need an intern!

So is the MSI board getting eliminated due to Husky's info?

By the way the MSI board is still in stock at Amazon.

I'll still finish my testing (eventually).  I already have all the motherboards, so I have no reason not to.  The question is whether they will still be available by the time my testing is complete!

• 2 weeks later...