Parity disk error UNRAID Version: 6.9.2 [RESUMED]

I recently decided to switch my entire computer to UNRAID. 12 days left for trial. Everything was going smoothly so far. This morning I noticed that the parity disk is not working. Adding it back to array doesn't fix the problem, pairing stops and shows an error after 3 hours.  I had a few small problems but that was nothing new to me. As for "parity" I have no idea how it works, so please help me. As far as I understand, all information is included in the diagnostic report.

I apologize for any inconvenience but I did not have the time or understanding of the subject to provide any clues. And I need to solve this problem to know if it is UNRAID for me or beyond my abilities. Parity disk is brand new WD RED PLUS 8TB "WDC_WD80EFBX-68AZZN0", after ''green" pre-clear.

tower-diagnostics-20210822-1701.zip

tower-smart-20210823-1117.zip

Edited by usingun

The parity disk seems to have completely disappeared!    The diagnostics show it WAS there and then it suddenly seemed to disappear so there is no SMART information for the drive to try and asses its health

I would suggest that you power cycle the server to see if it comes back?   Before powering it back on carefully check the power and SATA cabling to the drive as that seems to be the commonest cause of such errors.  If it does then try running the extended SMART test from the page available by clicking on the drive on the Main tab.   Posting new diagnostics after that should let us see the result.

This time I took out the disk from array and mounted it with unasigned devices to do extend smart test. So far, over 6 hours without error. I think taking out and reinserting seems to be solving the problem. I'll let you know what the result will be. The aforementioned instruction suggests similar solution but for a different purpose,

The array must be started once with the drive unassigned or disabled. Yes, it may seem odd, but is required before Unraid will recognize that you are trying to do a 'Parity Swap'. It needs to see a disabled data disk with forgotten ID, a new disk assigned to its slot that used to be the parity disk, and a new disk assigned to the parity slot.

Edited by usingun
19 minutes ago, usingun said:

This time I took out the disk from array and mounted it with unasigned devices to do extend smart test.

You can't "mount" a parity disk because it has no filesystem to mount. Terminology.

You could have done extended smart test with it still in the parity slot. Might as well let it complete, it will take many hours.

• usingun changed the title to Parity disk error UNRAID Version: 6.9.2 [RESUMED]
On 8/23/2021 at 4:19 PM, trurl said:

You could have done extended smart test with it still in the parity slot. Might as well let it complete, it will take many hours.

I tried, it doesn't work. It was only after removing from array that a smart test could be done.

Disk dropped offline:

Aug 24 16:57:22 Tower kernel: ata1: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
Aug 24 16:57:47 Tower kernel: ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
Aug 24 16:57:47 Tower kernel: ata1: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
Aug 24 16:57:52 Tower kernel: ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
Aug 24 16:57:52 Tower kernel: ata1: reset failed, giving up
Aug 24 16:57:52 Tower kernel: ata1.00: disabled

This is usually a power/connection problem, replace both cables, or swap with another disk and see if the problem follows the cables.

I did what i could, new data cable and swap power conector, as I have don't have modular power supply. New power supply seems to be solution, but I would like to postpone this if possible,as I recently did few upgrades at once and  overdraft budget. But if problem can be solved this way I may consider it. Sugestions about new PSU are appreciated. How am i supposed to test this now ? Extended-smart test did not show anything last time.

Edited by usingun