Ubuntu desktop VM without GPU possible?

I only have one GPU and it’s used by docker containers. 

I would very much like to have either windows or Linux VM spun up and be able to be accessed remotely over LAN (Remote Desktop).

Is this possible without GPU?  I don’t think it’s possible for windows, but what about Linux?  I know Linux server can do it, but I would like the desktop version as I need help getting Chia running and would like the GUI available.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Ystebad said:

I only have one GPU and it’s used by docker containers. 

I would very much like to have either windows or Linux VM spun up and be able to be accessed remotely over LAN (Remote Desktop).

Is this possible without GPU?  I don’t think it’s possible for windows, but what about Linux?  I know Linux server can do it, but I would like the desktop version as I need help getting Chia running and would like the GUI available.

Thank you!

not quite sure what you want to do in thenVM?

You never need a GPU passed to a VM to run any OS in a VM (including Windows) unless you need that VM to be able to access the GPU.    You can access the emulated GPU using a browser with the NoVNC support built into UnRaid, or install the Remote Desktop software of your choice into the VM to access it that way.   Lower performance than a hardware GPU but enough for lots of use cases.

30 minutes ago, Ystebad said:

I don’t think it’s possible for windows, but what about Linux?

like mentioned above, its possible with almost all OS's, personal experience, windows is performing better via rdp then linux (xrdp) without a GPU.

using VNC is always working but the more or less worst case (personal opinion and experience)

if your one and only gpu would be a intel igpu may take a look at gvt-g as note, which would make it possible to use it on host (dockers) AND a remote only VM (as vgpu) ...

16 minutes ago, alturismo said:

like mentioned above, its possible with almost all OS's, personal experience, windows is performing better via rdp then linux (xrdp) without a GPU.

using VNC is always working but the more or less worst case (personal opinion and experience)

One of the best performing Remote Desktop packages in my experience is NoMachine and it exists for both Linux and Windows environments.

My first use case is to install and run the normal Chia desktop client.  AFAIK it’s not at all GPU intensive, so an emulated GPU I assume would be fine, but I thought I couldn’t install windows without a REAL GPU.  I guess maybe I was mistaken?  Eventually I want to get a nice GPU for windows pass through but they are impossible to come by right now.