Install OpenVPN-Client directly in the OS, not in Docker's container

loupqhc

Hi, I'm new on Unraid and I try to do something. I want to install OpenVPN-Client directly in the OS, not in a Docker's container. I want to do this to be able to have all the containers in the VPN server network (VPN server-side). And also be able to redirect container ports in Unraid. Because currently I have an OpenVPN-Client container and I have connected all my other containers to it in the OpenVPN-Client container network. But it's not practical because I will have containers using the same ports and I will not be able to redirect them.

So how do you go about installing OpenVPN directly in the OS? From the command line, but where?

Also, I don't understand what plugins are? Is there an OpenVPN-Client plugin?

Thanks for your help !

Edited by loupqhc
4 hours ago, trurl said:

Have you looked on the Apps page? 

The plugin hasn't been available (probably about a year) because the plugin doesn't actually exist anymore on the specified GitHub repository (or was deleted by the author)

7 hours ago, loupqhc said:

I don't understand what plugins are

At a very high level, plugins are simply a different delivery method for an application other than a docker container.

However, due to their nature in CA / Unraid, applications which are better suited towards being delivered in a container are not allowed to exist as a plugin.  This means that plugins are generally geared towards OS / WebUI enhancements, Utilities etc.  (OpenVPN server or client as a plugin if it was available does meet this criteria)

You could however leverage the Client containers to operate for the OS, with the codicil that you'll most likely lose network access if the container (or array) is stopped

25 minutes ago, Squid said:

You could however leverage the Client containers to operate for the OS, with the codicil that you'll most likely lose network access if the container (or array) is stopped

Okay, so it's possible to connect Unraid to the VPN server and not just a container (So all the containers are connected to the VPN server) ? If it's possible, do you have any idea how to do it ? And what is "the codicil" ?

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 11:58 PM, DitaSoft said:

Also interested in how to install OpenVPN natively on Unraid because i´m behind a cgnat and want to connect to a vpn provider that gives me a public ipv4. I could probably life with downtime if the array shuts down but i cant get the docker container to work with my reverseproxy.

Have you find a solution ? I'm still stuck...