New to UnRAID - Emby + Hauppauge USB (for liveTV) what is required?

Brion

Hey Everyone,

So new user to UnRAID.  Lot of great things I want to say, saving that for a follow up post.  But here is my simple question that I read a ton of mixed things on.    So I want to run an Emby Docker and use my Hauppauge WinTV Dual-HD (USB device) to get a live TV feed.    What exactly is required for this?  I know in windows you need a driver, and a special utility to setup before Emby detects the TV tuner. 

One thread said I needed a tvheadend app for it I think.   Do I need to configure the tuner in tvheadend, then point emby to the tvheadend to make it work?    Any points would help as I have not done a tvtuner in nix before =/ 

Thanks in advance

With all the stuff I read on passing devices, needing extra stuff to program the channels with Hauppauge TV side... I decided to get an HDHomerunner and take that tuner out of the mix.   I dont expect UnRAID to support it as it just requires a lot of stuff at the kernal level it looks like.   Id hate to see things like this break after updates as well which looks possible.   Either way gonna push this out.  

Side note - I did build a VM with win 10 and passed the USB device directly too it and it works fine.  Can program the tuner and Emby can use the tuner with a local emby install.   So it works if you need this. 

Long time ago (years), played with tuners... but also new at unraid. My plan was to use my existing HDHomerun with TVHeadend and Emby later in the mix.

Emby is new for me... just read in the past about it but never got time to check it out. 

I can only say, that TVHeadend works perfectly fine with HDHomerun. Also tons of reading about it by googling. I used it with Kodi with the TVHeadend plugin.

But as soon I'm happy with my unraid setup and moved everything to it, I will start from scratch with that topic.

Just in case this comes up for someone on a search here is what I did.

• I just purchased an HDhomerun to deal with the cable and did not use the Hauppauge USB TV tuner.  I feel like UnRAID dealing with that device directly is "out of scope"
  • Emby can use HDHomerun natively 3 seconds to configure
  • Using emby docker btw works awesome
  • If you are using a GPU make SURE you follow this thread and directions - he even references Emby directly    The hardware helps a ton with transcoding etc. 
  • All in all it runs far better then being inside a VM - and runs better then my windows box did 😃
  •  

Edited by Brion
On 11/1/2021 at 10:33 PM, Brion said:

What exactly is required for this?

I use it like this with my DigitalDevices and Nvidia Cards:

• Install Nvidia Driver plugin
  • Install DVB Driver plugin
  • Pass through /dev/dvb in the Docker template from TVHeadend and configure everything to your likings
  • In Emby connect to TVHeadend via XML TV (I don't like the plugin verry much because sometimes it gave me only spinning circle when the connection to TVHeadend was lost only for a short time)

And it works like charm:

grafik.thumb.png.9e20b57e88d417af7eb2b3fa3d352ac7.png