unassigned device keeps getting shutdown

XceRpt

running unraid 6.9.2, recently intalled a new wd purple in hopes of using for cctv footage. it keeps shutting down and showing in historical devices. Ive tried to attach my sys log showing the problem but i keep getting a server error 200 on the forum post here. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Also note i havent recorded or even written to the drive yet. only formatted and mounted/ added to docker to be used

image.thumb.png.1963e2ff3cbe63129396c5b2938891b3.png

image.thumb.png.855d42bf086520d8cb8e6fb918e0db41.pngimage.thumb.png.1963e2ff3cbe63129396c5b2938891b3.png

Edited by XceRpt
7 hours ago, Squid said:

How is it connected?  

Also, not that this is the going to be the issue, but on permanently connected devices you're better off adding the drive as an additional cache-pool rather than mounting it via UD

It's in a rosewill 12bay hotswap server case> It is connected to the lsi card using the sas to sata breakout cable Along with 3 of the other drives that are running fine.  I was following a spaceinvader vid going through his steps of adding as an UA to use with shinobi. I'll dbl check the sata connection and if that don't work swap out the breakout cable that goes to the 4

53 minutes ago, XceRpt said:

rosewill 12bay hotswap server case

I've got 2 RSV-4411's  ->  My thoughts

I've run across a drive one which it and it alone refused to work in one specific slot.  Move it to another slot and everything was fine.  Any other drive worked perfectly in that slot

After inserting the sleds, always always give them another push.

Whenever inside the case, always always give each of the 12 sata connections a push

Since Molex tends to be rather rare nowadays, limit your use of adapters if at all possible.  Always buy a supply that gives you the most amount of molex connectors (on different cables) rather than use adapters

I've had nothing but trouble with using SSDs in the hotswap, even when they connect via the motherboard ports.  I always instead just velcro them to the inside of the case and only use spinners on the hotswap.

Certain drives will never light up the activity light on the sleds.  Not an issue and nothing to worry about.

All in all a great case, and absolutely insane value for the cost, but you do get what you pay for and the case has some quirks.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:04 PM, Squid said:

I've got 2 RSV-4411's  ->  My thoughts

I've run across a drive one which it and it alone refused to work in one specific slot.  Move it to another slot and everything was fine.  Any other drive worked perfectly in that slot

After inserting the sleds, always always give them another push.

Whenever inside the case, always always give each of the 12 sata connections a push

Since Molex tends to be rather rare nowadays, limit your use of adapters if at all possible.  Always buy a supply that gives you the most amount of molex connectors (on different cables) rather than use adapters

I've had nothing but trouble with using SSDs in the hotswap, even when they connect via the motherboard ports.  I always instead just velcro them to the inside of the case and only use spinners on the hotswap.

Certain drives will never light up the activity light on the sleds.  Not an issue and nothing to worry about.

All in all a great case, and absolutely insane value for the cost, but you do get what you pay for and the case has some quirks.

So I've double checked the connections are good and tight. Swapped to a new breakout cable rebooted. Drive comes back but seems to only last a few days before it just "disappears" and errors again, happened to be this morning. This a is  new wd purple not an ssd as you mentioned you've had issues with before. I guess i need to get it back "online" and try to run some smart test maybe?/ Change to a diff hotswap bay? (not sure why that would matter). any other suggestions or ya think the drive could just be bad and run for a few days at a time? May end up trying to send back and see if its really just a faulty drive.

image.png.735d3a90e1a192c51b585e1156136a14.pngimage.png.2d291a259d8162bbdd724a34d6dc885b.png

Edited by XceRpt
5 hours ago, itimpi said:

Have you tried disabling spin down on the drive?

I have the disks set to never spin down. I dont see an option specifically for UA devices as far as spindown settings go.  I don't see spindown being an issue as the drive/program was set to record 24/7 (cctv). I was actually reviewing footage this time when it just stopped.  . I dont believe unraid would shut a disk down thats in use like that ?

I've also just finished a smart extended self test, came back no errors. not sure if that helps pinpoint anything or not.

image.thumb.png.7cb12ad2409c477f084a3c81ef46db16.png