Device is disabled for just UDMC CRC error?

I'm reading a few similar threads and I can't believe I'll have to rebuild my entire drive just because of a cable connection issue.

One of my 8TB drives is showing UDMC error of 6. 

When I do a SMART test it passes without any issues. 

It's a few months old ST8000DM004.

Is there anyway around this without having to rebuild it?

I have attached the SMART test just in case I missed something.

tower-smart-20211228-1615.zip

Edited by TheFreemancer
3 hours ago, TheFreemancer said:

rebuild my entire drive just because of a cable connection issue

Not exactly.  You have to rebuild because a write to it failed.

3 hours ago, TheFreemancer said:

Is there anyway around this without having to rebuild it?

My opinion.  The drive was red-balled because a write to it failed.  Therefore the contents of that drive aren't in sync with what the parity system reflects, and not rebuilding it due to the failed write will definitely have some corruption.  Whether this is noticed or not in unknown.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Squid said:

Not exactly.  You have to rebuild because a write to it failed.

My opinion.  The drive was red-balled because a write to it failed.  Therefore the contents of that drive aren't in sync with what the parity system reflects, and not rebuilding it due to the failed write will definitely have some corruption.  Whether this is noticed or not in unknown.

I'm rebuilding it now. 

Could you please check the SMART that I'm attached just for assurance that the drive is ok or at least okish?

Really would like a second opinion on that Raw error data. 

I have a ST6000VN0033 drive and it has over 204,000,000  Raw Read Errors on it (~29,000 Power-on hours).  (I don't think this parameter is much of an failure indicator for Seagate drives.) Did you notice that this count is identical to Attribute 195? 

You might want to consider checking (Or even replacing) that data SATA cable on that drive.  Make sure that it fully seated and has resistance when you pull it loose from its connector.   (After playing around with SATA cables, double check that all (Power and Data) cables are properly seated.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

I have a ST6000VN0033 drive and it has over 204,000,000  Raw Read Errors on it (~29,000 Power-on hours).  (I don't think this parameter is much of an failure indicator for Seagate drives.) Did you notice that this count is identical to Attribute 195? 

You might want to consider checking (Or even replacing) that data SATA cable on that drive.  Make sure that it fully seated and has resistance when you pull it loose from its connector.   (After playing around with SATA cables, double check that all (Power and Data) cables are properly seated.

I only use sata cables with that metal lock for this reason. 

It's rebuilding now at 96% no errors. 

This situation poped up when I was replacing the CPU cooler fans, so I might have just touched the cables and moved it slightly or something and when powering it back up again it gave the write error that resulted in all this.