Move discussion out of Announcements.

This is a fairly minor annoyance to me but often I visit the forum and see unread posts in the Announcements sub and think 'oh something new!' only to find that its someone responding to an old release announcement. I kind of wish that the Announcements sub was only updated when limetech had something new to announce. Maybe we could have an "Announcements Discussions" sub and every announcement would get an official locked post in Announcements with a link to a discussion thread in Announcements Discussions (discussion thread would link back to announcement of course)? 

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/4/2022 at 6:14 AM, primeval_god said:

This is a fairly minor annoyance to me but often I visit the forum and see unread posts in the Announcements sub and think 'oh something new!' only to find that its someone responding to an old release announcement. I kind of wish that the Announcements sub was only updated when limetech had something new to announce. Maybe we could have an "Announcements Discussions" sub and every announcement would get an official locked post in Announcements with a link to a discussion thread in Announcements Discussions (discussion thread would link back to announcement of course)? 

Have you tried utilizing the Activity Streams?

https://forums.unraid.net/discover/unread/

You can filter by Unread and set up other streams

I don't understand why the announcement thread isn't just locked (by default) when created.  At the bottom of the thread can have verbiage which directs folks with issues that need assistance to open a thread in General Support and/or a link to a thread (in Announcements?) for comments (such as kudos or quirks during update).

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2023 at 1:35 PM, ConnerVT said:

At the bottom of the thread can have verbiage which directs folks with issues that need assistance to open a thread in General Support and/or a link to a thread (in Announcements?) for comments (such as kudos or quirks during update).

Yep, the usual way it's done in other forums.

@SpencerJ

Is there a particular reason(s) not to do the same over here?

On 12/3/2023 at 5:35 AM, ConnerVT said:

I don't understand why the announcement thread isn't just locked (by default) when created.  At the bottom of the thread can have verbiage which directs folks with issues that need assistance to open a thread in General Support and/or a link to a thread (in Announcements?) for comments (such as kudos or quirks during update).

On 12/21/2023 at 7:28 AM, Lolight said:

Yep, the usual way it's done in other forums.

@SpencerJ

Is there a particular reason(s) not to do the same over here?

I'll speak to the team but I believe we like to hear from the community in these threads. Otherwise, we would only see problems in Gen Support/Bug Reports🤪

Think of it as a sentiment check....

That is totally understandable which is why I originally proposed something like 2 threads for each new release. One would be in the Announcement subforum and be locked and the other, for people to discuss and provide feedback in, would be posted in another sub and linked from the announcement post. The goal would not be to dampen discussion just to make a clearer distinction (from a notification perspective) between real Limetech announcements and responses to those announcements. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, SpencerJ said:

I'll speak to the team but I believe we like to hear from the community in these threads. Otherwise, we would only see problems in Gen Support/Bug Reports🤪

I don't disagree with the goal.  But I believe that @primeval_god is spot on with his statement above.  The announcement thread should be the official statement from Limetech (and can add any additional follow up, as needed).  A second thread for issues, comments, successes and problems would make things less cluttered, and allow the announcement thread to be more focused, while allowing you (and  the Limetech team) to gather feedback.

• Like 1