My Servers and Port Forwarding

Can I please ask for help.

I’m very much a newbie, at the age of 75, so don’t understand much about computers or port forwarding.

In a nutshell,  I’m having a problem getting My Server connecting to outside my network.

My UnRaid  is on IP 10.0.4.30. I first set up the Plex Server in a Docker on the Unraid and it has opened port 32400 and it works really well.

So my next step was to set up My Server for remote access.  I followed Spaceinvader1’s video on setting up My Server and have worked through the steps in Settings: Management Access. I’ve got the Certificate issued and al I have left to do is to forward WAN port 14444 (in his example) to Internal Port 443.

Initially, it didn’t work so, as I use an EERO router which did an update yesterday, I wondered if something had gone wrong there,  so I checked with EERO technical support, who confirmed the port forward is set up properly.

However, when I press the “Check” button in Settings:Management Access, it tells me “The Unraid server is unreachable from outside your network. Be sure you have configured your router to forward port 14444/TCP to the Unraid server at 10.0.4.30 port 443”.

So EERO tells me the port is forwarded, but My Server tells me it isn't and won't connect.

The EERO tech support guy  then added that he thought the reason it isn’t working is that the server IP 10.0.4.30 should not open 2 ports. This seems a bit strange to me as I thought they could open multiple ports, so I thought I’d ask on this Forum, where I’m sure somebody will be able to help me out.

Thanks fore your help

Fogey

What version of Unraid do you have (6.9 and 6.10 handle the details differently) and are all your plugins up to date? Actually, please upload your diagnostics (from Tools -> Diagnostics) as that will answer a bunch of other questions too.

BTW here are the official instructions for setting up Remote Access:
  https://wiki.unraid.net/My_Servers#Configuring_Remote_Access_.28optional.29

Most routers have no problems setting up multiple port forwards to a single IP. But if the EERO tech support guy says EERO doesn't support this, then you could try deleting the port forward for Plex and see if that solves it. Not much we can do if the router doesn't support it.

So sorry, I just pressed the download button.

Anyway, good news is that I've sorted it out - it was the EERO and its bizarre handling of Port Forwarding.

I have a another modem/router, a Hitron Coda, supplied by my ISP. As we live in quite a big house, the signal from that doesn't get everywhere so I ran an ethernet cable from it to the EERO and ran a second mesh network with repeaters around the house. I was using that EERO network to connect to Unraid.

As a test, I switched Unraid on to the Hitron Network and tried to open a port - and found that the Citron software is really good and even a newbie like me could do it. So I forwarded the port as required in Management Access  and pressed the Check button and got the Green Tick and confirmation I am reachable from the Internet. So that has sorted that problem out and I'll steer well clear of running the Unraid on the EERO system in future.

Your helpful reference to the Official Instructions for setting up remote access document showed me that I was, in any case, wasting my time, and yours sadly, trying to get remote access this way, and that the use I wanted to use Remote Access for was ideally served by WireguardVPN, so I'll be trying to set that up today. But with my new found ability to port forward on the Hitron, I'll have a better chance of getting it running. (Famous last words!)

I still  have one tiny question left about Unraid - you may know the answer as its pretty straightforward. If I click the Terminal Icon, I get a terminal screen - but  the text is set to the same colour as the screen as all I see is a grey square. If I type something, the blinking white cursor moves but I can't see anything. If I backspace, I can see the text I typed as its now grey on a white background.  Would you know how I can change text colour to white?

Thanks so much for your help.

Fogey

52 minutes ago, Fogey said:

So I forwarded the port as required in Management Access  and pressed the Check button and got the Green Tick and confirmation I am reachable from the Internet

woohoo!

54 minutes ago, Fogey said:

Your helpful reference to the Official Instructions for setting up remote access document showed me that I was, in any case, wasting my time, and yours sadly, trying to get remote access this way, and that the use I wanted to use Remote Access for was ideally served by WireguardVPN, so I'll be trying to set that up today. But with my new found ability to port forward on the Hitron, I'll have a better chance of getting it running. (Famous last words!)

WireGuard is a great option. As you'll see in the "troubleshooting" section it fails silently (to prevent detection) but that makes it tough when things don't work, so it is good that you have simplified your network.

I'd recommend following the quickstart guide here:

1 hour ago, Fogey said:

I still  have one tiny question left about Unraid - you may know the answer as its pretty straightforward. If I click the Terminal Icon, I get a terminal screen - but  the text is set to the same colour as the screen as all I see is a grey square. If I type something, the blinking white cursor moves but I can't see anything. If I backspace, I can see the text I typed as its now grey on a white background.  Would you know how I can change text colour to white?

That is a new one. I'd suggest accessing the server from a different computer or browser, perhaps you have a browser extension or setting that is interfering.  It should be white text on a black background.