Need help to put back a hard drive in my array

popolz

Hi everyone, hopefully I will be able to put back my drive in my array without loosing my data with your help!

So my cache drive went bad, so i replaced it with a new one.  When I started back my array, disk number 2 was wrong (wrong size error)

I didn't make any other changes except changing the bad cache drive.  I decided to simply start a "new config" thinking that the parity drive will correct the problem.

This is were it went wrong, I started my array but I was expecting to see a message that said "checking parity/rebuilding the data" but only "checking parity" appeared so i stopped everything.

Since my array was almost full i decided to put a bigger hard drive in my array by doing a parity swap, (bigger parity drive and parity drive going to disk number2) thinking that it would rebuild the disk number 2 at the same time.

Parity swap was done but I have no data on my new disk number 2.  I plugged the old disk onto my PC to check it with a data recovery software and all the data is still there.

Now, is there a way to put that disk back in my array and keep the data on it and be able to access them? 

Your description is unclear or incomplete, but I think you had some serious misconceptions about how to proceed.

Since the original disk seems to have your data I guess we might as well go from there and forget about trying to figure out what you might have done. But in future please ask for advice before your do something that results in data loss.

Check in your BIOS and make sure all disks are configured for ahci and not legacy/IDE. Plug that original disk back in but don't do anything with it yet.

Then start the array just as it is and post new diagnostics.

Not related, but you don't enough RAM or CPU for anything but NAS functionality.

37 minutes ago, popolz said:

the disk show as unmountable : not mounted

On 1/29/2022 at 10:15 AM, popolz said:

I plugged the old disk onto my PC to check it with a data recovery software and all the data is still there.

It is usually a bad idea to put an array disk in another computer. Windows, for example, can't even read Unraid disks natively. What recovery software and what did it do?

Yes i did the the change in the Bios and went thru the link you put down.  Unfortunately, my drive shows "Auto" on the files system.  So I'm back to square one!

I will just recover as much files as possible with the data recovery software.  The bad thing about it, is the software doesn't keep the file name.  Oh well!!

Once again, thanks for the help!!