Do I need a new psu with my build

Die_piggy

So I am planning on upgrading my server to more modern equiptment.

My current system

i5 8400 (65w TDP)

14 HDD

1x m.2

sas 8 port controller

Corsair RM750x

Planned system

i7 12700 (125w TDP)

20 HDD

2x m.2

sas 8port controller

24 port sas expander

Will the 750w be able to keep up with the extra equiptment, or should I invest in a more powerful PSU?

The hard drives are the easiest item to use to determine the sizing of a hard drive.

Hard drives will use ~ 2A at spinup on the 12V rail.   Your power supply has to be able to handle that current draw, and be able to supply everything else that also uses 12V (CPU, video cards etc)

Also bear in mind that power supplies will on average lose up to 10% of their rated capacity every year.

Your RM750x when brand new would handle 62.5A on the 12V rail.  40A of that is gone right off the hop with the hard drives.  Take into consideration power draws of everything else and the aging, and I would grab a new one as you're borderline. 

3 minutes ago, Michael_P said:

I'd for sure like to know which manufacturer it is, no? 

Unfortunately finding the real manufacturer of any specific brand can be difficult, and big names are not a good indicator of quality.

search "gigabyte exploding power supply" for a recent example of what should have been a reputable company screwing the pooch with some abysmal quality control.

Just now, JonathanM said:

search "gigabyte exploding power supply"

That's precisly why I'm asking - If there's a chance for 10% supply degradation year over year, that's as big if not bigger story (which I'm sure GN would like to put to the test with his PSU tester). 

I don't buy PSUs every year, in fact it's on the order of 2 or 3 per decade - so I don't generally hear about this kind of thing, unless it's like the Gigabyte debacle, which is why I'm asking at all. If I need to replace sooner than 5 years (I try to get whatever is the "premium" at the time), I'd like to know :)