GUI Mode black screen, although it worked once using another USB stick

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Asus Strix GTX 980.

I created a boot stick on my MacBook and put it in my desktop. I chose GUI and it started up in the GUI. I only looked around and didn't request a trial key. Shut the machine down. Did some reading over a couple of days and found out the max size of the USB stick, so since the stick I used was 128 GB, I created another one on my desktop (Ubuntu, copied files and used the make_bootable script) on a 8GB stick.

Using this stick, I requested a trial key and then booted into the GUI. Except the GUI didn't show up. It goes through the motions like a non-GUI startup, except it just stops. The server did start as I can connect to it from another machine.

I retried using the first stick (128 GB) I used since the GUI did work on that one, except now it doesn't want to start up with that stick. I'm assuming because I've created a license on the 8 GB stick.

Could it be that I didn't create the 8 GB stick correctly? Is it something else? How can I diagnose this?

I did find this post (created ast.conf), but the suggested solution didn't work for me.

• Solution
11 minutes ago, Aging Orange said:

Do I need to create a new flash drive for this or can I use the existing one?

You need to use the same flash drive but configure it for legacy. You can do that from the webUI, Main - Boot Device - Flash - Syslinux Configuration, uncheck UEFI.

Or just rename EFI folder on flash to EFI-

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

You need to use the same flash drive but configure it for legacy. You can do that from the webUI, Main - Boot Device - Flash - Syslinux Configuration, uncheck UEFI.

Or just rename EFI folder on flash to EFI-

Thank you, this worked.

For others with a Gigabyte board: if CSM is enabled in BIOS, Legacy boot is supported. If CSM is disabled, only UEFI boot is supported.

E: I only had to change the setting from the webUI.

Edited by Aging Orange