Format a drive during a parity rebuild?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I just upgraded my dual parity drives from 2 14tb to 2 16tb drives.  Went smoothly, just swaped a parity drive and rebuilt parity for each drive change.  

So i had 2 14tb drives just sitting there and no extra sata power connectors, so i used unbalance to move all the data off of a 2tb drive (trying to consolidate all data to 4 14tb drives instead of the hodge podge of 2/3tb'ers.  

I was following the spaceinvaders video (not realizing there was a way to do it without the parity rebuild, later in his video) and powered down and removed the 2tb drive and installed the 14tb drive. Fired up the array and did a New Config and made sure the correct 16tb drives were in the correct parity slots...and started the parity rebuild (about half way through as of right now).

It says the 14tb i installed is Unmountable: No File System.  I figured it would do that since is used to be a parity drive and now is a data drive.  I see the format option at the bottom below Stop the Array.  Is it safe to do this while a parity rebuild is happening?  

i was just hoping to save some time since i'm sure formatting will take a bit for 14tb.  

image.thumb.png.1d7506727b75a2a102af27ff85c0dc40.png

13 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Yes.

Thanks!  I'll start the format!

Once its done with the format, it'll show up in the array automagically?

Edit:

Looks like it pauses the parity rebuild:

Array Started • Formatting device(s) • Parity-Sync / Data-Rebuild 58.4 %(Paused)

Edit2:

Nevermind...parity rebuild is back up and running a second after i posted the Paused rebuild

Edited by danimal86