Read errors on Parity Drive

partyhat

I've had this happen a few times now, where the parity drive (8TB HGST - disk sdf) gets a red x next to it with read errors. I'd run SMART tests and they would usually come back fine. I had then stopped the array, set the parity slot to 'no device'. Rebooted the server, added the parity drive back to the slot and started the array, a rebuild would occur and it would be okay again for maybe a month. This happened at least three times now so it is getting annoying. The disk currently shows the red x under the 'array devices' section with drive ID SDF. It's also concurrently under the 'unassigned devices' section with drive ID SDG. 

The hardware is an HP N36L Microserver, so about 11 years old and getting a bit aged. I just wonder if it's the backplane or cable for this specific drive, or in actual fact the disk itself is dieing.. Diagnostics attached. If it's clearly not the disk I could try reassigning disks to different slots to check the slot, but I don't want to do that yet as I'm not confident how to do it. 

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

tower-diagnostics-20220217-1331.zip

Edited by partyhat
update details

Yes I should have said, the other drive sometimes comes up as 'unmountable disk present'. What I do is bring the array online in maintenance mode, then run the xfs repair on the disk and delete the log. Then that one comes online again fine. 

The thing is looking at the smart logs, UDMA CRC error count looks to be zero, unless I'm missing something and I thought that would indicate the backplane issue?

Edited by partyhat

Ok thanks. I’m bidding on a replacement main board on eBay. If I got the same motherboard and swapped it, would that work straight up or is there likely to be something like serial numbers/hardware ids that mean I’ll need to setup a new unraid USB key and rebuild the array with the same disks?

Edited by partyhat