Device is Disabled, Contents Emulated

SubJimbo

Hey everyone!

I have been running Unraid few a few months now and moved to a PowerEdge 720 server a few weeks ago. Everything has been running great up until last night when I noticed a few errors on one of my disks (disk2).

This disk is around 10 months old and still under warranty from Seagate (Seagate Ironwolf 8TB) so I can organise an RMA if I need.

There was 25 errors showing in the Unraid Errors section. I shut down the server to re-seat all the drives just in case, but it still shows that the device is disabled in Unraid.

I've attached my diagnostics. Is there an issue with the drive that I should RMA it or could it just be one of those things and I need to delete / re-add to the array?

Thanks for your help!

server-diagnostics-20220224-1225.zip

Edited by SubJimbo

SMART for disable disk2 looks OK, though you didn't complete an extended test. You would probably have to disable spindown to get that to complete.

Since you rebooted after the problems occurred, can't see those in syslog, maybe just bad connections which you have fixed.

I didn't look at any of the other disks, do any have SMART warnings on the Dashboard page?

Disabled disks have to be rebuilt. You can rebuild to the same disk.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

1 hour ago, trurl said:

SMART for disable disk2 looks OK, though you didn't complete an extended test. You would probably have to disable spindown to get that to complete.

Since you rebooted after the problems occurred, can't see those in syslog, maybe just bad connections which you have fixed.

I didn't look at any of the other disks, do any have SMART warnings on the Dashboard page?

Disabled disks have to be rebuilt. You can rebuild to the same disk.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Storage_Management#Rebuilding_a_drive_onto_itself

Thanks for the quick reply!

There are no smart warnings, just the error warnings. I followed the steps and it is currently rebuilding the drive. I'll report back when it is done (15 hours or so) and mark as solved if it works! I'll also not reboot next time if there is an error so I can post the logs.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I'm also experiencing a very similar problem, my Unraid is running on Dell PowerEdge R720 for about a month now and my couple week old 8TB Seagate Ironwolf (Parity) disk has "Device is disabled, contents emulated".

I've attached my diagnostics. Your help would greatly appreciated. 

webtek-diagnostics-20220509-0846.zip

Edited by trurl
delete lots of attached files that should have been a single zip

Hey all!

Sorry I didn't close this off - my problem was solved by the instructions from JorgeB.

Most of my disks are Ironwolfs which do seem to have an issue with R720 servers with Unraid (Seagate Issue with the controller).

I ran through the Seagate instructions posted above, then rebuilt parity and have not had any issues since.

Thanks for the reply, my raid card was flashed and is IT mode, is that still a issue for Unraid?

I did have look at the write up about about the Seagate Ironwolf hard drives but wasn't sure if my disk was impacted

I started extended SMART test. Will post results upon completion.

Thanks SubJimbo, Once the extended smart test is complete I will post up the results but I'm strongly swayed in your direction that the solution is the Seagate write up. Whats worrying me is I do have couple other Seagate Ironwolf HD though they are only 2TB which are part of my array. So i really want to resolve this issue before any other Seagate drive becomes disabled. 

A quick question SubJimbo, after you downloaded seachest utility and opened the downloaded zip file and navigate to Linux folder did you you go through the raid or non-raid (Linux\Non-RAID\Lin64-Non_RAID\ubuntu-20.04_x86_64) folder since the raid controller is flashed and in IT mode that would make it as non-raid is that correct? 

• 11 months later...

Hello! 

Can I please ask for the advice, what order of my disks replacement would mininimize the possible damage?

I have 4 data + 1 parity drive. Parity drive is quite fresh and new, while the data drives were supposed to be changed soon (40-50K hours of power-on hours life).

After we moved to the new flat (with my nas as well)))), I've got the error "DEVICE IS DISABLED, CONTENTS EMULATED" on Disk 2. (Probably, some cables touched during the move, but rechecked, reattached everything).

Smart was saying that the disks are still pretty healthy, so I've rebulit it - no issue, all was OK after it, (it was 5 months ago). 

Last week I've got again the same error on the same Disk 2. OK, I've started the rebuilt process again, but during the process the system was reading other disks heavily (obviously), and all the reads from Disk 3 resulted in Errors. 

So, currently I'm in position that Disk 2 was supposed to be rebuilt (rebuilt process finished in maintainance mode, everything was in green), but after I launched the Array in normal mode, I'm having now:

Disk 2 - Unmountable, wrong file system (despite the 4 days data rebuilt process for the 2nd time during last half-year)

Disk 3 - DEVICE IS DISABLED, CONTENTS EMULATED - now and this one as well...

But while the content from the disks is unprotected (with exclamation signs), it LOOKS like it exists, it's OK, I see that my biggesst, most important folders / file are OK.

So, today I'm receiving 3 new 6TB IronWolf disks from the store, so the quesion is:

in what proper order should I replace the disks, in order to avoid data loss/ minimize it at least? 

Disk 3 replace with new one -> rebuilt -> Disk 2 replace with new -> rebuilt -> Disk 4... ? 

Or should I go for Disk 2 -> Disk 3 -> Disk 4? 

Diags is attached.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

image.thumb.png.cec0aff5b38a2d04bacba233171d7f4f.png

linertower-diagnostics-20230421-0937.zip

Edited by mamaraci
21 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Next time please start a new thread.

Run an extended SMART test on disk2 and post new diags after it's done.

Oh sorry I thought it's  the proper approach to attach to the closest existing topic, in order to avoid the threads multiplication.

I've run the extended smart test @ Disk 2, and here is the diags after that.

And, today I see some missing folders / files already 😢

linertower-diagnostics-20230422-0713.zip

Edited by mamaraci
58 minutes ago, JorgeB said:
SMART Extended Self-test Log Version: 1 (1 sectors)
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     54473         -

Last test logged for disk2 is a short one.

Hm.. I'm sure I've launched Extended yesterday evening. It was long staying at 10% (couple of hours for sure). Today in the morning I've logged in and saw that 

Last Smart results is "Completed without error" at Disk2 page, then I've downloaded the diags. 

linertower-smart-20230422-1048.zip

So this one doesn't contain the extended info as well, right?

Ok I would try to launch it once more. 

Edited by mamaraci

Hooray, it's finally completed the extended test for Disk 2! 

Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error

# 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 54624 -

# 2 Short offline Completed without error 00% 54473 -

# 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 51353 -

So, what would be the recomended order of disks replacement?

linertower-diagnostics-20230423-0634.zip

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Reboot and post new diags after array start, also if disk2 is still unmountable you can check filesystem.

Thanks for your support & advice, JorgeB! 
After reboot, I'm getting this.

No changes in hardware config was implemented... 

image.thumb.png.4119d28e6d338f2cb4f54f8b024ce255.png

The majority of the disks are "missing" now.  Avialble drives were the drives connected directly to the motherboard, so I've replaced the Raid controller with a new one (I know I 've installed not recomended Marvel one as a reserve one, but now for the sake of the data restoration / disks swap I suppose I can use it temporary). Btw, the previous controller is also a Marvel (this one http://www.iocrest.com/index.php?id=2208). 

With new controller, Array started with similar status: Disk 2 umountable FS, Disk 3 disabled.

diagnostics-Controller_failed_20230423-1436.zipdiagnostics-After_Disk2_checkFS_20230423-1518.zip

I'm attaching the fresh Diags, with Disk 2 CheckFS results log inside. 

Edited by mamaraci