My first UnRAID server

Hello friends,

I'm about to configure my first UnRAID home server and I'm reading through the manual for UnRAID 6.

While reading the manual I'm now facing a few questions regarding my current hardware.

I already own the following gear:

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700.

Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z490-I.

RAM: Kingston Fury 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4.

SSD: 2x WD Red SA500 NAS SATA SSD 2.5”.

USB Flash Device: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB.

Case: Xtia Xproto Mini.

UnRAID's manual indicates the following regarding SSD usage for arrays and parity:

SSD support in the array is experimental. Some SSDs may not be ideal for use in the array due to how TRIM/Discard may be implemented. Using SSDs as data/parity devices may have unexpected/undesirable results.

How can I know if the WD RED SSD's are compatible for usage as array/parity? is there a test tool or a list of SSD's known to be compatible/un-compatible?

If these SSD's are un-compatible for UnRAID's array and parity purposes, can I use them as a multi-cache pool with no array and parity drives?

Or does UnRAID require to install at least one array and parity drives in addition to the multi-cache pool?

Thank you in advance for your help.

54 minutes ago, mjeshurun said:

UnRAID require to install at least one array and parity drives in addition to the multi-cache pool?

This is correct.

Bu you can have a simple usb flash drive as your sole array device and never use it. (configure your pool(s) using the 'Only' setting)

56 minutes ago, mjeshurun said:

is there a test tool or a list of SSD's known to be compatible/un-compatible?

Not that I know as manufacturers tends not to share much information.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

Depends on the use case, a pool would be faster for most cases, array with parity is generally more reliable, in part because each device is a unique filesystem.

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess, I can currently build the server with the SSD's setup as a multi-cache pool to enjoy their added value in speed, and in the future add more array and parity disks, when my server disk space requirements grow.

Am I correct in this assumption?

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2022 at 4:46 AM, JorgeB said:

Those SSDs (and 99.9% of them) will work fine, just note that they can't be trimmed if used in the array, they can in a pool.

Is it necessary to trim HHD’s in the array? I have two 4TB Western Digital Red Plus’s, one as parity. I know you don’t have to trim the SSD’s on BTRFS with v6.9, but what about the spinning disks in the array?