We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Nested Virtualization.. Very Slow Disk Performance...

First post here.. so I am not sure what information to provide but ill start with server specs

Dual Xeon 12 core 1.9ghz processors on an Asrock board.  64gb of ECC Mem... 1 NVME on board (1tb 4x pciee 3x)... 4 1tb NVME on an Asus M.2 x4 pci bifurcated card.  1 8tb WD Drive, 4 12tb Drives in an array

image.thumb.png.f4d8a8e35f19bb530b3df4e475b25698.png

ok so that should give you guys some solid information to start (btw 1 of my 12tb drives was DOA waiting on its replacement so im running without Parity for the moment)

Primary use of this server is to host my media obviously.. Plex, and the rest.. and this works great.

however I have a need for work centric Virtual machines that i would like to run on this server.  I need to be able to easily run VPN without getting disconnected and have been spoiled by the hyper v enhanced session... 

So I have installed a Hyper-V 2019 server as a VM. This works ok... at best, but overall performance specifically disk performance is TERRIBLE! like Pata drive slow... 

I have the VM's set to run  only on the NVME Raid 0 array of 4 nvme drives. 

Any ideas why this might be? overall everything seems ok performance wise other than disks.. 

Thanks

My experience is that as soon as nested virtualisation is enabled, performance tanks.  I needed this for docker on a windows dev VM.

If I'm reading your use case correctly, you maybe be better of creating a VLAN for your work VMS, and having all that traffic isolated on that VLAN and routed through the VPN.

This is also a reasonable advanced use case, but I think you will get a better result and more options for help with configuration that way.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 4:09 PM, tjb_altf4 said:

My experience is that as soon as nested virtualisation is enabled, performance tanks.  I needed this for docker on a windows dev VM.

If I'm reading your use case correctly, you maybe be better of creating a VLAN for your work VMS, and having all that traffic isolated on that VLAN and routed through the VPN.

This is also a reasonable advanced use case, but I think you will get a better result and more options for help with configuration that way.

Appreciate the response and this is a workaround i have considered.  The odd thing is with dedicated nvme storage i would have thought that the performance would not suffer so much.. but apparently that is not correct.  going to keep exploring this situation.

Thanks for the response