Seagate 750 $199

BLKMGK

Doesn't seem to be many good HDD deals running around but refreshed an old page and saw this one drop. Not as good as we've seen before on occasion but best I could find right now -> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2203982&Tab=11&NoMapp=

One caution FWIW, I bought several of these 750s and had one fail within a week. $14.99 to return it and it's taking a little time. Even though this link is to an OEM drive it should still have the awesome 5yr Seagate warranty. I had a different drive, a 400 Seagate, also fail recently. They sent me a 500 in return so I guess I cannot bitch too much ;-)

My system is currently five 300GB drives which I got for cheap a few months back.  My next purchase will likely be 750s as soon as they get to $100 or so or 500GBs if they get to $75.  Yeah, it will be a while but my rate of ripping DVDs is fairly slow anyway.  Given the rate of price improvement, I figure that drives bought too early is just wasted money.

Bill

I heard about the 1TB drives in the external cases too late to get in on it although I did get 2-3 of them fairly cheap a little while ago. In my SATA based NAS I'm sticking to large drives as much as I can. 500gigs just ends up being too small for me - I'm ripping my DVD collection hot and heavy and have 600 of them! My big issue is storage and not having racks all over the place for visitors (carpet cleaners etc.) to find tempting for an unauthorized return visit. Keeps the friends and family from borrowing like crazy too :D Now they have to bring a portable drive for me to overwrite and returns aren't an issue. HD-DVDs are an issue though, aside from storage I've got no real good way (yet, XBMC on Linux is maturing fast) to play ripped copies of those so I'm back to having a small rack - grr!

Anyway, my other NAS was built from bargain IDE drives. I had everything from 500s to 300s in there and filled my slots up quickly (stopped at 12). Once the slots filled it was upgrade upgrade upgrade with the IDEs as I ran out of space and what to do with the drives I pulled? Stupidly at one point I put in a SATA 750 as parity but it died and I went back to IDE. Large IDE aren't going to be around and moving it to SATA will come long down the road I think so 500s are as big as it will ever get. So with the new one I'm trying to go as big as I can fiscally stand at reasonable prices - the 1TBs didn't exactly fit that motif but I think I got them for like $229 so it wasn't too rude. Sadly I think it will be awhile before those 1TB drives drop since the technology is fairly advanced and really who needs them except for people like us? I think 750s are a good price point to watch although right now they are still a touch high - need some sales! 750s are mostly what I'm buying these days but only as my space fills and only Seagate if I can help it. My dead 750 will be back on the 24th finally so maybe I'll get the last of my DVD ripped and be done awhile. <sigh> Course then I'll have bought more DVD, it's a tough treadmill ;D