What is your go-to HDD manufacturer?

What is your go-to HDD manufacturer?  

904 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maxtor was the first i buy i don't remember 512mb  :D ye what a capacity for today standards :ph34r:

Well  wat i have 4x4 tb WD black  in 2010 or so i do not remember, after 3 mounts of use in pc on off 2 ->4 time per day one failed one me 

problem was the data on it was very important for me in that moment :S

so wat can be more easy swap the board (i do not remember if was necessary to swap the eeprom to but i did it) and the result was the same chaotic head movement, not that loud has in Maxtor drive :D but if you keep it in the hand you can feel it has the head hit the max and min position several times 

yes nice, well recovery was very expensive so what i did was put hdd in a plastic zip bag and put in in a bowl of fridge cooled water and start the recovery process 

has the water getting warmer i keep adding ice cubes xD recovery was 100% 

after this i buy Seagate barracuda when the warranty was out same for HDD  

i still have the 4x4 tb drives and are running every day in pc no bad sectors but Monday i will check smart to see the status, i did not check for 5 years or more  9_9

with first NAS sinology i buy 4 x 10 TB Seagate iron wolf was not cheep,

all 4 was bad, not detected and the very pleasant sound of the chaotic head movement hitting the max and min stop, well 3 weeks was the replacement policy, you can imagine >:(

now i have 4x 8tb and 5x 10tb WD red,  10tb are in sinology and 4x8tb are in a QNAP TVS-471-i3-4G running Unraid 

sorry for the long story,  now you will say that i use the hdd in an hot or inadequate environment ->  all hdd had and have cooling fan and never temp go over 48 degree Celsius 

12 hours ago, clauberty said:

Maxtor...

all hdd had and have cooling fan and never temp go over 48 degree Celsius 

Every Maxtor I ever worked with, you could fry eggs on 🤣

What I really want to mention though - if your drives are anywhere *near* 48°C, you've got a significant cooling / airflow problem, and I'd recommend looking in to it sooner rather than later.

~50°C is fine for NAND/SSDs/NVME, no worries there. But HDDs become significantly less happy the further above 40C they run.

• Upvote 1
On 9/1/2024 at 12:26 PM, BVD said:

Every Maxtor I ever worked with, you could fry eggs on 🤣

What I really want to mention though - if your drives are anywhere *near* 48°C, you've got a significant cooling / airflow problem, and I'd recommend looking in to it sooner rather than later.

~50°C is fine for NAND/SSDs/NVME, no worries there. But HDDs become significantly less happy the further above 40C they run.

yes true 40 °C is what i want to write but one of my fingers decided to hit 8 :D 

HDD temp.jpg

HDD temp 1.jpg

On 8/31/2024 at 3:59 PM, clauberty said:

Maxtor was the first i buy i don't remember 512mb  :D ye what a capacity for today standards :ph34r:

Well  wat i have 4x4 tb WD black  in 2010 or so i do not remember, after 3 mounts of use in pc on off 2 ->4 time per day one failed one me 

problem was the data on it was very important for me in that moment :S

so wat can be more easy swap the board (i do not remember if was necessary to swap the eeprom to but i did it) and the result was the same chaotic head movement, not that loud has in Maxtor drive :D but if you keep it in the hand you can feel it has the head hit the max and min position several times 

yes nice, well recovery was very expensive so what i did was put hdd in a plastic zip bag and put in in a bowl of fridge cooled water and start the recovery process 

has the water getting warmer i keep adding ice cubes xD recovery was 100% 

after this i buy Seagate barracuda when the warranty was out same for HDD  

i still have the 4x4 tb drives and are running every day in pc no bad sectors but Monday i will check smart to see the status, i did not check for 5 years or more  9_9

with first NAS sinology i buy 4 x 10 TB Seagate iron wolf was not cheep,

all 4 was bad, not detected and the very pleasant sound of the chaotic head movement hitting the max and min stop, well 3 weeks was the replacement policy, you can imagine >:(

now i have 4x 8tb and 5x 10tb WD red,  10tb are in sinology and 4x8tb are in a QNAP TVS-471-i3-4G running Unraid 

sorry for the long story,  now you will say that i use the hdd in an hot or inadequate environment ->  all hdd had and have cooling fan and never temp go over 48 degree Celsius 

Maxtor.....I haven't thought about those in awhile. When I first started swapping drives I think most I came across were Maxtor.

My first NAS was a Synology about 9 years ago. I went with WD Red and had one fail within a year or two. I don't remember but it was in warranty and they replaced it. Fast forward to 2 years ago I wanted to upgrade my Unraid machine and used Seagate. I haven't been impressed. They run hotter and one has  a very annoying tick and of course whatever movie I watch seems to be on that one drive. I need to upgrade again and I'll be going back to WD Red.