copying files from one share folder to another in unraid using terminal

hello.

i want to copy all files from one share folder to another share folder using terminal by typing "cp -r /mnt/user/Data di Unraid /mnt/user/tes ganti hdd film 2"

but nothing happend. it say : "cp: target '2' is not a directory."

please help me how to do this correctly. thank you.

Edited by onggio
6 hours ago, itimpi said:

You need to put quotes around any path that includes spaces, or precede the spaces with \ characters.   By default spaces are treated as parameter seperators.

thanks man. it works!
how about delete the folder?
rmdir "/mnt/user/tes ganti hdd film 2" ?

2 hours ago, onggio said:

thanks man. it works!
how about delete the folder?
rmdir "/mnt/user/tes ganti hdd film 2" ?

I would like to suggest that you try using    mc    (Master Command) which is a Linux file manager which has a almost GUI like appearance.

or

Google   Linux command line syntax    and read some the resources that you will find there. 

You might find my advice somewhat of a bit of arrogance but please understand that it is not.  Using the Linux command line is downright dangerous as the Linux shell always assumes that you are an expert and know exactly what you are doing.  (You will never see a 'Do you really want to do this?")   A small error in a command line parameter (or syntax) and you can destroy thousands of files as soon as you hit the <Enter> key!

Edited by Frank1940
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

I would like to suggest that you try using    mc    (Master Command) which is a Linux file manager which has a almost GUI like appearance.

do you mean Midnight Commander ?
i searched and googled mc (Master Command) and find nothing, but the keyword point me to Midnight Commander.

could you give me the link where i can learn more about this mc (Master Command)?

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

You might find my advice somewhat of a bit of arrogance but please understand that it is not.  Using the Linux command line is downright dangerous as the Linux shell always assumes that you are an expert and know exactly what you are doing.  (You will never see a 'Do you really want to do this?")   A small error in a command line parameter (or syntax) and you can destroy thousands of files as soon as you hit the <Enter> key!

thanks for the advice, i really appreciate it and never think that as an arrogance advice.

i will be more careful next time and think twice before entering the linux command line.

Edited by onggio