Drive issues (maybe sata cables?)

5 minutes ago, MrCakeSlayer said:

should I also upgrade the BIOS or should that be fine?

Should be fine since it's not used by Unraid.

6 minutes ago, MrCakeSlayer said:

would you mind providing more explicit steps as I'd really prefer not to lose more data than needed.

Disks 1 and 2 content might be OK but best to rebuild them in case it's not, so you just need to re-enable disk3, this will only work if parity is still valid, and it should be:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign disks 1 and 2
-Start array (in normal mode now), ideally the emulated disks will now mount and contents look correct, if they don't you should run a filesystem check on the emulated disk(s)
-If the emulated disks mount and contents look correct stop the array
-Re-assign disks 1 and 2 and start array to begin the rebuild.

22 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Should be fine since it's not used by Unraid.

Disks 1 and 2 content might be OK but best to rebuild them in case it's not, so you just need to re-enable disk3, this will only work if parity is still valid, and it should be:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments and assign any missing disk(s) if needed
-IMPORTANT - Check both "parity is already valid" and "maintenance mode" and start the array (note that the GUI will still show that data on parity disk(s) will be overwritten, this is normal as it doesn't account for the checkbox, but it won't be as long as it's checked)
-Stop array
-Unassign disks 1 and 2
-Start array (in normal mode now), ideally the emulated disks will now mount and contents look correct, if they don't you should run a filesystem check on the emulated disk(s)
-If the emulated disks mount and contents look correct stop the array
-Re-assign disks 1 and 2 and start array to begin the rebuild.

Thanks for the steps. I decided to run an extended test across all drives before trying to do a rebuild and I noticed 

Apr 28 12:36:01 Vortex kernel: sd 12:0:1:0: Power-on or device reset occurred

Apr 28 12:36:01 Vortex rc.diskinfo[10243]: SIGHUP received, forcing refresh of disks info.

Showing in the logs and it canceling the test for a specific drive (Parity 1) due to "Interrupted (host reset)". I swapped power cables around and received the same issue when trying to run extendeds or even shorts on all of the drives at once. Is this something I need to be concerned about before rebuilding? Would this be a PSU issue? I have a 500w power supply I'm using attached to a UPS.

9 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Yep.

Could be, could also be the SATA cables, but the error occurring during SMART tests points more to a power problem.

I ran the extended on that drive by itself and it still occurred, so unrelated to all drives being tested at once. Though testing it by itslef did cause it to spam a few 

Apr 28 12:45:05 Vortex kernel: sd 12:0:5:0: [sdg] tag#4591 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08 cmd_age=3s
Apr 28 12:45:05 Vortex kernel: sd 12:0:5:0: [sdg] tag#4591 Sense Key : 0x2 [current] 
Apr 28 12:45:05 Vortex kernel: sd 12:0:5:0: [sdg] tag#4591 ASC=0x4 ASCQ=0x0 
Apr 28 12:45:05 Vortex kernel: sd 12:0:5:0: [sdg] tag#4591 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 04 8c 3f ff 40 00 00 00 08 00 00
Apr 28 12:45:05 Vortex kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdg, sector 19532873536 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 0

Errors before throwing the power on reset message again. Since swapping the power cables around didn't seem to swap the issue to another drive I guess I'll swap the sata cables around again and see what that does.

vortex-diagnostics-20220428-1255.zip

Edited by MrCakeSlayer

I've replaced the PSU and ran extended tests on all the drives, they seem to be functioning as expected now. I did the new configuration stuff as you described and I'm currently waiting on the rebuild (~11h to go). Thanks for all of the help to everyone who contributed. ❤️

• Like 1