Moving a whole Share to a new Disk

Hi there,

first - I know, I know. Copying from a share to a disk is bound to lose my data, that much I gathered by googling. That's why I make this post, to do it right.

So, the situation - I have one share where I unzip things quite often, this slows down everything else down quite a bit, so I thought to move that share to an SSD entirely. It's under 2TB, so not an immense amount of data.

I installed the SSD and added it to my array (disk8). In every other share, I excluded this disk. For the share I want to live on it, I set every other disk to "excluded disks" and the new SSD to "included disks".

At this point, I thought starting the Mover would do the trick, but that one only copies from and to the pool devices it seems.

Every new data I write onto this share now uses my SSD, but I also want to get all data that's already on the share to move there, as this is the kinda data I access more often. And no, I don't want to add this disk to my pool (as it wouldn't be protected by parity anymore; sure, I could backup it to the array as well, having all the data doubled and so on... nah)

How would I do that? I could possibly follow this guide: https://wiki.unraid.net/Transferring_Files_Within_the_unRAID_Server#Moving_files

But then I'd have to do this for every single disk seperately, which is bound to human error.

Best,

Rick

I would not think you want the SSD added to the array as you cannot get decent speed in the array as writes are slowed down by the need to update parity in real time. I would think instead that you want the SSD in a pool as that does not suffer the same performance impact.

Having said that in your case you would need to physically move the folder corresponding to the share between the two drives to achieve what  you want.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

I would not think you want the SSD added to the array as you cannot get decent speed in the array as writes are slowed down by the need to update parity in real time. I would think instead that you want the SSD in a pool as that does not suffer the same performance impact.

Hi there itimpi,

the issue is that all other benefits of the array would vanish as well, and that's what I want to avoid. Or is there a way I didn't think of yet?

Having said that in your case you would need to physically move the folder corresponding to the share between the two drives to achieve what  you want.

The question is, how to do that? The share is split onto six or so other drives that are in the array, not on a single disk :o

Best,

Rick

5 minutes ago, CameraRick said:

The question is, how to do that? The share is split onto six or so other drives that are in the array, not on a single disk

One disk at a time. mc at the command line, browse to /mnt/disk1 on one side, /mnt/diskY (destination) on the right, highlight the share name folder on the left, move it to the right. Navigate to /mnt/disk2 on the left, highlight the share, move, etc etc.

5 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

One disk at a time. mc at the command line, browse to /mnt/disk1 on one side, /mnt/diskY (destination) on the right, highlight the share name folder on the left, move it to the right. Navigate to /mnt/disk2 on the left, highlight the share, move, etc etc.

Hm I see, exactly what I don't want because of possible user error.... yeah I have to think about this. This whole situation is not very satisfying :(

Best,

Rick