Can't get past MPT2BIOS

New build, with this SAS2008 controller freshly installed: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M2AC40Y/ (which may or may not need flashing, I know not). 

I can't get past the stoopid MPT2 BIOS, which takes over even before the system BIOS gets a look in. Then MPT2 sits there initializing forever. Occasionally it flashes up "CTRL+C to enter setup" for a microsecond, and then goes back to either initializing again, or trying to "spin up boot drive". After about an hour I managed to hit CTRL+C at just the right time. Then it sits there "invoking SAS configuration utility", again for ages.  Everything seems to take, like 20 minutes. Even just reading the settings

I can't seem to boot anything with the SAS card in it, so I can't even try my hand at flashing the thing. Any suggestions? Is there a way of telling it not to run the NPT2 BIOS at startup?

Ok, re-downloaded and flashed, now boots fine. But I can't access the web interface. Everything I've read seems to suggest it should respond on port 80, but nothing.

• IP shows on console correctly
  • IP pings fine from my mac
  • I can log on to the console and ping my mac
  • No obvious errors on the console
  • Tried normal boot and gui mode boot

What gives?

EDIT - man, every time I say something's not working, it starts working. Can access the interface now, but it seems only if I boot in GUI mode. Odd.

Edited by banterer