HELP WITH - Proliant Ethernet Ports

Go to solution Solved by Windlasher,

I realize this isnt an HP groups but I figure some of you have a similar config? 

MOVING MY Unraid server to real hardware finally. 

I bought a DL360p server because why not, they are so cheap these days. It has an onboard NIC and a 4 port NIC card. The onboard by default grabs a DHCP address of 192.168.1.X. (I can assign this statically if I want) but it is normally used for remote management.

How do I tell UNRAID to use a specific port on the 4 port card? 

Right now I can ping the 192.168.1.X address but NOT the unraid address I want to use which is 192.168.1.101.

Thanks for any help?

1 hour ago, Windlasher said:

I realize this isnt an HP groups but I figure some of you have a similar config? 

MOVING MY Unraid server to real hardware finally.....

AS AN UPDATE:

On the 4 NIC card, only one lights up when plugged into it.

I booted into GUI mode. I can scroll down and change the NIC from 0 to Io1 and it shows minute amounts of traffic but I can still not ping put or in.

40 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Settings -> Network Settings -> Interface rules -> Set that NIC as eth0, reboot is required after.

Looked at that just now - It was already set to eth0. I even pulled the battery and power to see if  factory reset would fix it. LOL - I thought this would be easier. I might try installing windows on it to see if windows recognizes it. In any case that would also give me the slot assignment information  and if it does I can test each port. With 96MB Ram and 16 cores I hope I can get it to work, Would make a hell of an unraid server.

you cant use the management nic for unraid or other os-es. Its for management only ! (hey, guess why its called "management nic" ? ). Unless you want to use remote management of the machine (and have a proper key for it!), you can leave it alone and do not plug in any cable.

But, if prepared well, you can access the "what is used to be console" over this port to get the UNRAID GUI.

you have to use one or more of the 4 onboard nics. for UNRAID. They should work fine. Your only trouble at the start should be to find out, which nic is assigned as "eth0" to UNRAID. You can either define the wanted nic's MAC address (they should be written on the small info plate you can pull out at the front side) to the unraid gui, or, more simple, do try & error.

Plug the cable one by one into one nic, wait some seconds and see if the unraid console gets an address to this port.

Don't use more than one cable at the beginning. later on, you could use bonding to more ports if your switch/router does support it.

(usually none of these ports are used, most customers buy a 10Gbe card und plug it into the internal 8x slot)

aah, I forgot, so an Update:

You will find EIGHT Mac Addresses for the four Nics written down. Keep in mind that 4 of them are for "normal operation", the other four are meant for ISCSI. You cant use them for UNRAID, so be sure to pick the correct one!

Do Try&Error, it will only show you the usable ones.

22 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

you cant use the management nic for unraid or other os-es. Its for management only ! (hey, guess why its called "management nic" ? ). Unless you want to use remote management of the machine (and have a proper key for it!), you can leave it alone and do not plug in any cable.

But, if prepared well, you can access the "what is used to be console" over this port to get the UNRAID GUI.

you have to use one or more of the 4 onboard nics. for UNRAID. They should work fine. Your only trouble at the start should be to find out, which nic is assigned as "eth0" to UNRAID. You can either define the wanted nic's MAC address (they should be written on the small info plate you can pull out at the front side) to the unraid gui, or, more simple, do try & error.

Plug the cable one by one into one nic, wait some seconds and see if the unraid console gets an address to this port.

Don't use more than one cable at the beginning. later on, you could use bonding to more ports if your switch/router does support it.

(usually none of these ports are used, most customers buy a 10Gbe card und plug it into the internal 8x slot)

I inputted a static IP when I made the disk but I will just do it DHCP until I get it figured out. Will Unraid console update dynamically while sitting there or do I have to reboot after switching cables? Thanks for the help.

30 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

aah, I forgot, so an Update:

You will find EIGHT Mac Addresses for the four Nics written down. Keep in mind that 4 of them are for "normal operation", the other four are meant for ISCSI. You cant use them for UNRAID, so be sure to pick the correct one!

Do Try&Error, it will only show you the usable ones.

Well now Im getting with DHCP - Eth0 does not exist. Imn wondering if this card is not supported. I read something about this earlier. Ive just ordered another card to see if that works. Unfortunately I threw away a box of old cards that I had laying around a few months ago.. My Timing Sucks. 

• 1 year later...