What Unraid prep work needs to be done before Stopping the array?

When selecting Main->Stop to shut down the array, does it automatically shut down all running Docker images and running VMs?

Or, is it required that Docker images and VMs be manually shut down prior to stopping the array?

Not asking about making sure data is saved prior to stopping the array; that is a given.

Edited by JackSafari
  • JackSafari changed the title to What Unraid prep work needs to be done before Stopping the array?
1 hour ago, JackSafari said:

When selecting Main->Stop to shut down the array, does it automatically shut down all running Docker images and running VMs?

Or, is it required that Docker images and VMs be manually shut down prior to stopping the array?

Not asking about making sure data is saved prior to stopping the array; that is a given.

Maybe this section of the online documentations accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI will answer your question?

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Maybe this section of the online documentations accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI will answer your question?

Yes, this is helpful. Recently I wanted to add a new 4TB HDD, but could not shut down the array. I spent at least a couple of hours trying to solve the problem including booting into Unraid's WebGUI mode. Finally isolated it to one VM that was not shutting down as part of stopping the array, so I just went into the Unraid's WebGUI and manually issued the VM do a clean shutdown. The VM respond and did a normal shutdown, and finally the array went off line so that I could add the new HDD. I have no idea why the VM would not shutdown as part of stopping the array, but quickly did clean shutdown when using Unraid's VM "stop" command (not a forced shutdown). It was a VM that did have some hardware passthrough, such as GPU.

Edited by JackSafari