Update UnRaid manually ???

Go to solution Solved by AnneMarie,

No, all you need is any Windows PC.   You have to look up (google) the instructions to force the PC to boot from the flash drive.  You then put the Unraid flash drive into the laptop and use those instructions to boot the PC using that flash drive. 

Unraid will load BUT the array will not start since the drive assignments  will not be correct.  (Unraid will do nothing to the current drives on your laptop unless you tell to!)   When you boot up I would suggest you choose one of the GUI options and that will give the standard Unraid GUI right on the laptop.  You can update the plugins at that point.  You can not upgrade the Dockers because you can not start the array.  (The array has to be running since those updates will write to the array.)

Edited by Frank1940

To  Frank1940....

Thanks for the clarification.. I use a linux Mint PC but my sister has a windows PC and I know how to make a PC boot from a flash drive... Question,, you specified using a windows PC, any reason I could not use my Linux PC especially if after booting the computer would be using the unraid OS....

4 minutes ago, AnneMarie said:

To  Frank1940....

Thanks for the clarification.. I use a linux Mint PC but my sister has a windows PC and I know how to make a PC boot from a flash drive... Question,, you specified using a windows PC, any reason I could not use my Linux PC especially if after booting the computer would be using the unraid OS....

No reason.  A Linux computer will also do the job.  (I mentioned a PC because Apple products and Chromebooks could have a problem booting.)

EDIT: Let me qualify this a bit more.  The Linux  has to have a 64bit capable processor.  I think anything made in the past twelve years will be 64bit capable...

Edited by Frank1940

OK, well it looks like the community has solved 2 of my 3 problems... so THANKS everyone.

But it looks like I am still destined to remove my server and the drives, pack everything up and tote that heavy beast to my sisters anyway...  Maybe not so often now that I am able to update the OS and plugins using the thumb drive method you all have provided.

But unless one of you genius types out there can figure a way to update the dockers, I am still stuck having to tote this thing to my sisters every few months,, but, hey, thats a lot better than I thought... and I still get to live in the middle of nowhere and on a farm 😀😀

Really,  THANKS   to everybody for your help, ideas, and explanations...

Anne

4 hours ago, AnneMarie said:

But unless one of you genius types out there can figure a way to update the dockers

No genius here but here is an idea that may work (although I have certainly never tried it):

I used to have all my appdata and docker.img on an SSD that was in a front- accessible 4 x 2.5" hot swappable bay in my unRAID server chassis.  I have now moved them to an M.2 NVMe on the motherboard.  I still have one pool and an Unassigned Devices SSD in the hot-swappable 4 x 2.5" bay.

If you have your appdata folder for docker containers and the docker.img (or folders if you are using that method) on an easily removable SSD, you can mirror the docker container setup on an internet connected computer that boots into unRAID.  The SSD from your non-Internet unRAID server can be removed (hopefully easily), placed in an external USB enclosure and connected to the Internet-connected computer that boots into unRAID. 

Even though USB connected drives are not recommended with unRAID, for a short-term use like updating docker containers, there is less risk (although not zero) of disconnection.

Again, I have never tested this and perhaps there are reasons it will not work (the true geniuses can chime in on that), but is all I can think of to resolve your docker update issue.

6 hours ago, Hoopster said:

If you have your appdata folder for docker containers and the docker.img (or folders if you are using that method) on an easily removable SSD, you can mirror the docker container setup on an internet connected computer that boots into unRAID.  The SSD from your non-Internet unRAID server can be removed (hopefully easily), placed in an external USB enclosure and connected to the Internet-connected computer that boots into unRAID

It will not be even that easy :(   You need to be able to start the main array to be allowed to update containers and that will not be possible without the array drives.

The only long term solution I see for the OP is to get improved reception on his mobile so that temporary connection via it to the internet work reliably (albeit maybe slowly).

11 hours ago, itimpi said:

It will not be even that easy :(   You need to be able to start the main array to be allowed to update containers and that will not be possible without the array drives.

The only long term solution I see for the OP is to get improved reception on his mobile so that temporary connection via it to the internet work reliably (albeit maybe slowly).

for the OP is to get improved reception on HER mobile.... 

Not a chance... Verizon is the ONLY carrier in the area with even voice service, and that is spotty at best.

My cell connection to the internet is very intermittent  to non existent.

Satellite service in my area is well over 100 a month for 2mbps download (advertised 25/3 but its really 2/1 )

SO I guess I am stuck with taking the server to my sisters every few months to update, or

until  Elon Musk gets his Starlink available on my area, that would be great.....

Again, thanks to everyone for trying to solve my server update dilemma

Anne

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...