BTRFS RAID1 Configuration?

6 hours ago, Jaybau said:

How easy is it to setup my array to use BTRFS RAID1 for the data drives?

Is it as simple as:

1)   Add 2 drives (drives can be different sizes).

2)  Format btrfs

3)  And Unraid automatically figures out the rest.

Unraid does not support this.

• 1 year later...
On 6/11/2022 at 10:45 PM, Jaybau said:

How easy is it to setup my array to use BTRFS RAID1 for the data drives?

I'm also interested in this configuration. All my large HDDs should form a large BTRFS RAID 1 storage.

I know Unraid was designed to be the opposite of RAID but over time filesystems, technologies and user needs change.

Is there a chance that it will become a feature of Unraid?

Edited by bjmi
1 hour ago, bjmi said:

I know Unraid was designed to be the opposite of RAID but over time filesystems, technologies and user needs change.

I wouldnt say that unRAID was designed to be the opposite of RAID. It is a RAID like storage technology, that doesnt fit any of the traditional RAID levels. It offers the same redundancy of RAID 5 or 6 with improved worst case disaster recovery. It trades off some performance and block level pooling for the ability to remove and mount each data drive as a stand alone file system.

1 hour ago, bjmi said:

I'm also interested in this configuration. All my large HDDs should form a large BTRFS RAID 1 storage.

You can almost do this now. Unraid does still require at least 1 drive to be in the unRAID "Array" but that requirement can be met with a small flash drive if you have no interest in the array. The rest of your drives can be placed in a BTRFS pool with whatever raid level you want. 

At some point the term array will go away and the unRAID "Array" will become just another type of pool. The requirement to always have an unRAID array with at least one disk will also go away at some point, but no ETA from limetech on either,

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bjmi said:

You can only get a BTRFS RAID1 storage in a BTRFS multi-drive pool, and it is not possible in the main Unraid type array as in that each drive is a single self-contained file system and this is not going to change.   That is why the main Unraid array can have a mixture of different file systems.

What is expected to change at some point is the requirement to even have the main Unraid array - instead that will become just another pool type and you can then mix and match pool types as you want.

• Thanks 1