unRAID 6.9.2 Cache @ 70%

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

see attached photo and you will see that my 1tb cache drive is fairly full. also see screenshot of shares.I have disabled docker and vm and ran the mover twice. I am not sure if this is how it should be or not. I am still relatively new to this.

1 - is this something that needs to be addressed?

2 - can you point me to a search term or resource that will better help me understand what I need to do to fix this? 

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 9.13.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 9.16.02 AM.png

Mover ignores cache-no and cache-only shares.

You have shares d-------s, g---s, J---------e, m---a, T---------------p with files on cache, set those to cache-yes so mover will move them to the array.

Your appdata share has files on the array. You want that all on cache so docker/VMs will perform better. Nothing can move open files, so you will have to disable Docker in Settings so those can be moved.

But better if you temporarily set appdata to cache-only so mover will ignore it for now until you make space on cache.

11 minutes ago, trurl said:

Mover ignores cache-no and cache-only shares.

You have shares d-------s, g---s, J---------e, m---a, T---------------p with files on cache, set those to cache-yes so mover will move them to the array.

Your appdata share has files on the array. You want that all on cache so docker/VMs will perform better. Nothing can move open files, so you will have to disable Docker in Settings so those can be moved.

But better if you temporarily set appdata to cache-only so mover will ignore it for now until you make space on cache.

ok - I did all this and mover is running. will report back

• Solution

d-------s still has files on cache, maybe they are duplicates or maybe mover just hasn't finished moving them.

g---s, m---a have files on cache. Since they are still cache-no mover won't move them.

33 minutes ago, trurl said:

appdata share has files on the array. You want that all on cache so docker/VMs will perform better

and also so array disks can spin down since these files are always open. appdata can be dealt with after the others are moved.

deeper explanation from my perspective of the solution for people who make this same mistake:

I had the cache settings for each share totally messed up. after the advice here, and space invader one's video on shares/cache pools, I set all of the problematic drives to settings that will allow the mover to move them, then disabled vm and docker, then used the mover. 

after that, I will be returning games, J drive, media, and time machine backup to NO Cache

I am fairly certain this is close to correct, but if my next steps (after the. mover is done) are wrong, let me know. otherwise thanks!!!!!

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 12.57.07 PM.png

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Your appdata share has files on the array. You want that all on cache so docker/VMs will perform better

4 hours ago, trurl said:

and also so array disks can spin down since these files are always open. appdata can be dealt with after the others are moved.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

better if you temporarily set appdata to cache-only so mover will ignore it for now until you make space on cache.

I suggested setting appdata cache-only so mover would ignore it while you made room on cache by moving the others off cache. After that then you would set it to cache-prefer to get it all moved to cache.

But you have set it to cache-yes, which will get it all moved to the array. It might take a long time to move appdata to the array as you are doing now, and then another long time to get it moved to cache where it belongs.

1 hour ago, r00nilwazlib said:

(after the. mover is done)

When mover completes, do the Compute All screenshot and post it, along with new diagnostics.