(SOLVED) (6.10.1 -> 6.10.2) Unraid refuses to start after update

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello,

I recently updated unRaid to 6.10.2, but after the reboot things didn't work as they normally should.

It reported that some of the drives were missing, so I assumed that there was a loose/bad cable or something with the raid-card (JBOD).

Checked the card, ran diagnostics and everything seemed to be in order at that end.

However.. after starting the the server again, it refuses to even boot into unRaid GUI mode. It can't be reached via the network either.

Today I pulled the cables for all the drives (raid-card and motherboard) and removed the raid-card but it still refuses to boot!

Only drive I haven't pulled is the NVME-drive for appdata/cache.

I see a message about Unsupported CPU though. Not sure if that's been there before.

First time it refused to boot I also tried rolling back using the files in "previous"-folder.

And before you ask.. I read about best practice for backing up the unRaid memory stick just after starting to troubleshoot. 😳

Any suggestions would be welcome. I'll pull the OS-stick and see if I can find some logs there as well.

Edit: First screenshot is with some of the disks plugged into the motherboard and the other screenshot is without any SATA-drives plugged in.

My system:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

32 GB DDR4

Seagate Ironwolf drives mostly and an NVME for appdata/cache.

bilde.png

bilde.png

Edited by DogeKitteh007
Marking as solved
1 minute ago, DogeKitteh007 said:

see a message about Unsupported CPU though. Not sure if that's been there before.

That's form mcelog, not an issue.

Screens are showing some ATA issues, first ones shows issues with ATA1, on the second one link is down, check all cabling, including power.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

That's form mcelog, not an issue.

Screens are showing some ATA issues, first ones shows issues with ATA1, on the second one link is down, check all cabling, including power.

I was planning to swap out the motherboard, CPU and PSU anyway. Would be a good opportunity to reseat cables etc.

Would the data and settings in unRaid be ok if I just did all that now?

What I find strange is that I can't even get to the GUI.

• DogeKitteh007 changed the title to (6.10.1 -> 6.10.2) Unraid refuses to start after update
12 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Based on the dates those diags look old, if Unraid is not finishing boot start by trying to boot in safe mode, if still the same try with a new trial flash drive, just to see if it boots.

Followed your advice and made a new evaluation flash drive.

It booted when not using GUI mode. When I tried with GUI, it just sat there with the marker blinking up in the left corner.

Noticed there's a whole bunch of errors related to some pcieport.

This is with new hardware installed (motherboard, cpu, psu).

Specs:

ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x

32 GB Kingston HyperX DDR4

850W brand new PSU

Attached the syslog from webgui.

Edit: I'm running the .2-version. Not the latest .3.

unraid-syslog-20220625-1928.zip

Edited by DogeKitteh007
Added info about unraid version being used.

Hm, everything seems to work with the newly made flash drive.

Apart from the error about PCI device spamming the logs that is.

I think it's the onboard SATA-controller? Was there before installing the Areca card too.

Installed the Areca controller card and the Dynamix SCSI plugin.
All the drives show up and SMART-status shows as "passed" on all of them in Unraid GUI.

Looks ok in the Areca UI as well.

Assuming that the problem somehow happened when updating unraid on the other flashdrive.

However.. how do I go about restoring the array now? I do have access to the old unraid flashdrive and its files.

I don't have a picture or anything showing the assignments of each harddrive, unfortunately.

Guess I also need to get a hold of Limetech to register this flashdrive on the Pro licence instead.

Attached: Diagnostics with all hardware connected running 6.10.3 w/SCSI plugin

unraid-diagnostics-20220625-2325.zip

Did some homework on the forums and found the relevant guide. 😊

I haven't tried to mount any disks in read-only mode with the Unassigned Devices Plugin yet, but can I assume that the one in the image is the parity drive?

Also: Does the order matter when assigning the drives with files on them?

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Troubleshooting#Lost_boot_drive_and_do_not_know_which_are_the_parity_drives

bilde.thumb.png.fdd7a1316a70d47a0cc8d2170e4c919b.png

1 hour ago, DogeKitteh007 said:

Also: Does the order matter when assigning the drives with files on them?

I'm blind.

"You can (optionally) re-order the data drives at this point but be aware this will always invalidate parity2"

Thanks for your help. I'll probably mark this as solved soon. 👍

• DogeKitteh007 changed the title to (SOLVED) (6.10.1 -> 6.10.2) Unraid refuses to start after update