We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Parity Issues

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

We cannot see what lead up to that scenario - you would need to enable the syslog server to get logs that can survive a reboot.    Are any of your drives indicating SMART issues on the Dashboard?

Looking at the time it started I assume that was a scheduled check?    We normally recommend that scheduled checks are set to be non-correcting as you do not want a drive that is playing up to corrupt parity.   When you get errors from such a check you try and work out why and check things like the power and SATA cabling that can cause errors.  You then run correcting checks manually when you are reasonably certain you have no outstanding hardware/drive issues.

I have the syslog file that can be reviewed.  Disk 9 (which is my newest drive) has 572 UDMA CRC errors, not sure if that is the root cause of the issue.

Do I have any recourse at this point?  Any sort of data validation I can do to look for potentially corrupted data?

Edited by clowncracker

CRC errors are connection issues normally caused by either the power or SATA cabling.   They normally trigger a retry and as long as that works the system simply continues unaffected. They never reset to 0 so you just want them to stop increasing.

To be able to detect corrupted data you need to either be using BTRFS as the file system or be using something like the Dynamix File Integrity plugin so that you have checksums of your files.

Is that the entire History?

Syslog only seemed to be logging P corrections, not Q (parity2), though it didn't log all the corrections. But it does make me wonder if Q was completely valid and P just had those (relatively) few sync errors. Have you had unclean shutdown?

3 hours ago, itimpi said:

Looking at the time it started I assume that was a scheduled check?    We normally recommend that scheduled checks are set to be non-correcting as you do not want a drive that is playing up to corrupt parity.

You didn't specifically comment on this. Was it a scheduled check, and were the scheduled checks set to correct?

Correct.  The 6/24 parity check was after the unclean shutdown on 6/23.  There were no parity issues at that point.

The 6/25 parity check was started on accident, meant to hit the mover button. The other check on 7/1 (after the 434 errors) was me thinking about starting another parity check after the issues came up but deciding to wait for more info on the forum before I proceeded.

Edited by clowncracker