Permissions with various docker apps

A very common theme that has plagued my install for going on a decade, particularly when I started using dockers, is permissions issues.

For example, just a few moments ago, I went into Sonarr, added a TV show, and it created the directory for the show automatically.  I tried to copy a file to that directory from a Windows PC, and got a permissions problem.  chmod +w or 777 etc etc etc on the directory from the shell of course fixes it.

This has occurred with Sonarr, Radarr, SAB (moving files after download), Headphones.... Even simply creating a directory on an unraid share, from Windows, sometimes leaves it either unable to be written to, or when I try to delete a file within said directory, permissions problem.

I often run "docker safe new permissions" and of course this fixes the issue, but my array is sitting at 132TB right now and it takes FOREVER.  Often times using the shell to fix permissions by hand is where I end up.

This issue does not happen all the time.

My question it, why does this happen, and why is it intermittent? 

arrs?

I also have tons of music, tv shows, and movies in the sab download folder that need to be moved by hand.  Many move automatically, but once a month I check and there are usually dozens that did not move, did not get renamed, etc.  I have always chalked it up to permissions, and have never been able to pin it down.

1 hour ago, tucansam said:

arrs?

Sonarr, Radarr

You need to look in the Queue / logs to see why they didn't get imported.  That's not going to be permission related.  Not entirely unexpected, as obfuscated downloads won't always import.  It's the price you pay for not paying the price of the media you're downloading ;) 

On 7/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, Squid said:

Sonarr, Radarr

You need to look in the Queue / logs to see why they didn't get imported.  That's not going to be permission related.  Not entirely unexpected, as obfuscated downloads won't always import.  It's the price you pay for not paying the price of the media you're downloading ;) 

Neither sonarr or radarr have that screen you screenshot for permissions.

50 minutes ago, tucansam said:

Neither sonarr or radarr have that screen you screenshot for permissions.

The screenshot he showed is definitely from Radarr, it says so in the yellow explanation text. 

Here is mine from sonarr, I have 755 but the setting is disabled on both Sonarr and Radarr and it works like it is, so I'm not inclined to monkey with it.

image.png.2160036b7bb2b611d1590757bbe0ad6d.pngimage.png.50285b76a2ded610bb1603d436acd759.png