Virtual Machine Backup using Veeam Communituy Edition

There is an easier way, a plugin "VM Backup" exists.

It has one drawback, it turns off the running VM, backups it and restarts it afterwards. If you are looking for a "running snapshot" it is the wrong way to go.

But I am not sure if this is really a limitation of the plugin, or a general drawback of the used QEMU. So VEEM may have the same problem, try it out.

I run the UrBackup server container in one location and the UrBackup clients in my VM's. Much easier to manage open file / shadow file / locked file issues inside the VM with a client than to try to backup the whole image file. Also the backup sets can more easily be granular restored and deduplicated for space saving with much deeper retention.

Added bonus that it's easy to keep my bare metal boxes in the same backup infrastructure.

• 1 year later...
On 7/14/2022 at 1:14 AM, JonathanM said:

I run the UrBackup server container in one location and the UrBackup clients in my VM's. Much easier to manage open file / shadow file / locked file issues inside the VM with a client than to try to backup the whole image file. Also the backup sets can more easily be granular restored and deduplicated for space saving with much deeper retention.

Added bonus that it's easy to keep my bare metal boxes in the same backup infrastructure.

Does MacOS backup (all types of backup) and restore work reliably for UrBackup?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone else googling this in the future, I have successfully set up Veeam Community edition agents on a number of windows and linux vms running on my Unraid box.  The key benefit of Veeam vs. other solutions I looked at is that it will backup a running VM without stopping it.  The backups need to be written to an unRAID directory shared to a path within the VM.  The backups occur automatically per the you schedule you set up inside the agent and only write incremental changes, so backups after the first one are very quick.

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2024 at 12:12 PM, JC-303 said:

For anyone else googling this in the future, I have successfully set up Veeam Community edition agents on a number of windows and linux vms running on my Unraid box.  The key benefit of Veeam vs. other solutions I looked at is that it will backup a running VM without stopping it.  The backups need to be written to an unRAID directory shared to a path within the VM.  The backups occur automatically per the you schedule you set up inside the agent and only write incremental changes, so backups after the first one are very quick.

Cheers for the follow-up, @JC-303, appreciate it.

When you say "The backups need to be written to an unRAID directory shared to a path within the VM", does this mean that if the target VM to be backed up itself gets compromised or has a ransomware infection - your backups can be destroyed as well since that share must be mounted/available? (that would be very disappointing.) Or, does this required mapping only apply to the VM running the veeam server application only?

Posted (edited)

Re: your last question....

Veeam can be set up two ways.  1) with a veeam server that makes calls to the vm on other systems and initiates backup this way.  2) with a local veeam application running on the vm that writes backups to a shared path (NFS or SMB) available from inside the VM.  With #2, you'd be susceptible to the issue you raise in your previous post.  With #1, you wouldn't have the same exposure.

Edited by JC-303