Planning server upgrade

I am finally able to move forward with upgrading the hardware that my Unraid runs on. I have been running this I5-2500K for a while and feel it is finally time to move up. Changing to an Intel I7, new motherboard, memory and new power supply should be easy enough. I am worried that the BIOS method for hard drive identification has changed. The current system is using the old method and I doubt a new motherboard still supports it. Should I expect any issues? I am planning on getting a new external drive and copying the data to it just to have a backup.

Currently it is only a file server and Plex host. No VMs at the current time.
Should I upgrade from 6.9.2 before or after the hardware upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Arthur

35 minutes ago, Sandman416 said:

I am worried that the BIOS method for hard drive identification has changed. The current system is using the old method and I doubt a new motherboard still supports it.

What do you mean by "old method"? If the controller is passing the drive serial number that is the preferred method and always has been. Problems arise when the controller does something other than that. Usually RAID controllers are the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a fresh copy of go and moved it over. That didn't make a difference. I noticed when attempting to retry the UI connection it flashed very quickly something that looked like "go back (recommended)". I changed the connect request from https to http and I go my log in page. So I am going to call that a win.

Thank you.