Q/Ask AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO/Wifi AM4 | ECC RAM 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 / OK? + LSI

I was wanting to decommission an old Dell R710 that's running in a hot garage and run UnRaid in-house (nice and cool). I also got tired of the old QNAP 2 bay NAS that's way outdated.

I have the following Mobo:

- ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO (WiFi 6) AM4 Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 2.5Gb LAN, BIOS Flashback, HDMI 2.1, USB 3.2 Gen 2

Because the Mobo supports ECC and the CPU I hear as well, but not officially I wanted to run 64 or 128gb or RAM.

Was considering this:

- Kingston Server Premier 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 ECC CL22 DIMM 2Rx8 Server Memory

- CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

I am not looking into overclocking anything just UnRaid + maybe 4-5 VMs.  Because Mobo support 8/Sata connectors, I should be fine with a LSI card in IT-Mode if I go over 8 drives.  I was planning to get a Video card to do some transcoding and any Photoshop work I do in one of the Vms.

The ECC is for set it and forget it and run it 24/7 and not worry about anything that can happen.  I also read that you can run/test your non-ecc ram 24-hrs or even a week long depending on GB and see if there are any potential issues with it + having to run that 1-2 times a year for piece of mind.

Thanks any feedback is appreciate it.

Edited by RoTalk
  • RoTalk changed the title to Q/Ask AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO/Wifi AM4 | ECC RAM 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 / OK? + LSI

Personally I would prefer a "G" type processor. UNRAID does not need the full power of the 5800X (which is overkill too if you do not plan to overclock). I've picked a 5700G for myself and am quite pleased with it.

The "G" also comes handy if you plan to put in another graphics card to be passed thru to a VM (though I have no experience with this, but the forum here contains a lot of problems with passthru, so better search for them and look for solutions.)

4-5 VMs are no problem, unless you do evil things with them like DOWNLOADING. Unraid's QEMU is a snail when it comes to fast LAN transfers. The cores hit 100% usage rather easily and the temp goes up through the sky 😞 Even with one VM doing heavy downloading, you can kill the box already. Its really a shame.

AMD CPUS and RAM is a delicate combination with UNRAID. If ECC or not, you need to run "memtest86" (download the newest version, the version that comes with unraid does not recognize modern CPUs/RAM) for some time and experiment with the BIOS settings if any problems show up. Even buying "3200" ram does not guarantee that your board/cpu/power supply combination allows you to use this speed safely. Some advice you to raise certain voltages (which will result in a fast wearout of the ramchips), I would personally say "don't go over 1,35V. instead lower the speed".

My box for instance runs stable with 1,35V and 3000 Mhz only.

(you dont need to wait for memtest to finish each time. Once an error shows up, cancel, change bios and restart memtest skipping the tests that have been successful before, After all tests have passed, play it even safer and rerun memtests from the beginning (all tests) once more)

Instead putting money on ECC better spend a week on memtest. Unless you change ram sticks (or your values are too high), you will be safe for years.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, I did consider the "G" but this was on sale, for dirt cheap and snatched it. I noticed as well that this is an overkill for a UnRaid nas box but some of the parts were either comp so I got some decent hardware including several 12tb/red/nas and M.2 Samsung 980 Pro that was on sale as well.

I think when it comes to photos, videos and family treasures, one might skip on a GPU/CPU but not on possible RAM that can ruin your data.  Running tests every so often might also be forgotten.  Especially if you get comped for some hardware I do not mind paying premium for the ECC vs non ECC.

I will also check on the voltage as well, the last piece I needed was the RAM to purchase and case to arrive.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:08 AM, RoTalk said:

The ECC is for set it and forget it and run it 24/7 and not worry about anything that can happen....

I think when it comes to photos, videos and family treasures, one might skip on a GPU/CPU but not on possible RAM that can ruin your data. 

Other things than RAM are more likely to ruin your data, starting with a user error, followed by damage from floods, lightning strikes, fires and unrelated to RAM hardware failures.

Please don't get a false sense of security from having ECC RAM in your system.

Make sure you have proper backups (multiple) of your family treasures, regardless of the type of RAM.

Edited by Lolight
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to point that I have this MOBO and CPU and it works fine for me.

But I had, of course, to add a small graphic card, I took a cheap NVIDIA Quadro P620 that also helps for plex transcoding.

My RAM is 4*16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz, don't know the exact model but I have more than enough to run anything I want.

I run about 40 dockers and 3 VM, the CPU idles at 7%.

The RAM is about 54% used.

I'll soon add a RTX 30X0 to upgrade my Windows 11 VM to a gaming VM.

• 3 weeks later...

still getting restarts, I used the set to defaults in bios and only changed power supply idle control.

Everything else is on auto which set the mem to 2133 and cpu to 3800 GHz. 

The mem should be rated for 3600MHz and cpu is a 4.7 GHz.  I have 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V Desktop Memory - Black (CMH32GX4M2D3600C18)

Hopefully get some stability back...

image.thumb.png.1bcb0d55aabb7c5955bf1ac831d8d7b2.png

8 hours ago, bmfrosty said:

I'm heading very much in this direction.  I'm just questioning whether I can get two cache m.2 drives in.  Still doing the research, but thinking that I may buy the 5900X while it's still on sale even if I end up with a different motherboard.

I have 2x 2TB m.2 drives busting with no issues..

40 minutes ago, Ctek said:

I have 2x 2TB m.2 drives busting with no issues..

Just got it working on my current motherboard (From 2014!).  Turns out that my motherboard doesn't support PCIe bifurcation, so I had to use two cards in two different PCIe slots.  I like the idea that btrfs will let me freely switch between jbod and raid1 as long as I have free space.  I'm doing that to download a couple of very large things, and then I plan to turn it back to raid1 assuming that I can manage what I think it does.  Being very careful about taking backups before I do operations like that though.

I think the bridge is going to allow me to do some fancy things.  2x1tb is great for now, but I'd like to have raid1 and 2tb of usable space some time in the future with the option to double it using raid5 and still keeping the protection.  For right now, this is a big improvement over the 600gb SSD that I've had in there since about when I built the thing in 2013 originally.  2014 motherboard didn't get installed until 2020 IIRC.

Basically I need to understand what lanes are in use and which ones aren't.  I think the 5900X has 24 lanes, 4 of which are for the bridge that then in turn provides 16 more lanes (that all have to feed through the 4, but that's alright for this application, I think), but I need to look at some docs and figure out how many m.2 I can effectively have while still getting enough SATA ports on the board.   Fun, huh?

A quick read shows that I can get one m.2 m-key slot on the motherboard direclty off of the CPU and one off the x570.  Also there's an x16 (that's really x4) PCIe slot off of the x570 that I can get a 3rd m.2 slot out of.  There's also an x1 slot that I can get a couple of SATA ports off of as well, I think.  If I'm keeping my GPU (I am for steam-headless) then that's about as far as I can go on this motherboard and processor, which is just fine by me.