Update to 6.10.3 breaks GPU passthrough

I have on my server a nvidia card as primary and in the secondary slot an old R7 250. Both cards pass through and work for VMs fine for me in 6.9.2. When I updated to 6.10.3 I noticed that the unraid console unexpectedly switched to the R7 250 secondary card (this was confusing since boot appeared frozen), which didn't happen on 6.9.2. I bound the AMD card to vfio on boot and that kept the unraid host console on the primary nvidia card, but in either case pass through of the AMD card no longer works. The VM starts, but there is no video output and the CPU used by the VM remains pegged. I have to force power it off.

Rolling back fixes it. I don't use rom files on either card. I boot in CSM mode. All I have done to get passthrough working was add video=efifb:off,video=vesafb:off to syslinux, but that was actually for the nvidia GPU in primary slot passthrough. This particular AMD card has never had reset problems even on older versions of unraid for me. I'm not sure what changed or how to fix this. I know GPU drivers were integrated at some point, probably with 6.10. Are there drivers I can blacklist to get things behaving as they used too?

I've had the exact same problem for 2 months now. Unraid 6.10 wouldn't boot, a BIOS update fixed that, but that's when all my GPU problems started. Second GPU became the primary GPU. I was able to get a VM to start and give video output on the primary GPU, but would stop after a minute and the VM log would say "could not power on, device stuck in D3".  I think I have fixed it. In the BIOS menu and APM Advanced Power Management was set to disabled. I suspected that the GPU was turning off for some reason, but with APM disabled I assumed it wasn't due to APM powering it down. After trying everything else I randomly tried enabling APM and now my primary GPU outputs the BIOS and boot screen. So I think setting APM to enable was the fix. Just gotta redo my cooling loop to be 100% sure. It's counter intuitive, because you'd think that the default state of APM would be to leave everything powered on?

• Like 1

Unfortunately, my bios doesn't seem to have that setting. And my issue presents a little differently. I don't get the "could not power on, device stuck in D3" error in the log.

I vaguely recall that when you enable ASPM is basically has the motherboard handle it. When it's disabled, it isn't necessarily disabled, it is just handed off to the booted OS to handle instead. I could be wrong on that, I haven't thought much about those settings in awhile.

It looks like a OVMF/UEFI VM does actually get video out. From experience, this means the R7 360 was 'touched' by the OS during boot which always screws up the vbios and breaks passthrough. Since I'm booting in CSM mode, it screws up seabios VMs but not UEFI ones. I'm not sure why the card is getting touched at all still though, since it is bound to vfio. But I think I have a couple ideas.

Well, I'm stumped on this. I tried blacklisting the amdgpu and radeon drivers, binding to vfio and neither helped. Then I rolled back to 6.9.2 and used space invader one's guide to dump the vbios, confirmed it worked in 6.9.2 and updated. No difference. So it seems like I'm stuck with only OVMF VMs if I want to pass through this card in 6.10.3. But that breaks some other things with the VM so I think I'm stuck on 6.9.2.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought upgrading to 6.10.2 breaks my GPU Passthrough too. I just want to comment here because it was fine in my Unraid. Using same vbios from 6.9.2 with 2x 3070. I thought it's not booting but I have dual monitor so it was booting on my 2nd monitor which having raspberry pi 400 attached (the one configuring Unraid) so I don't see it on my other monitor booting. I got on this thread because I want to test windows 11 2h22 and 6.10 have profile for the VM.

I have old windows 10 VM and it works fine in 6.10 so I thought the problem is specific for windows 11 installation and doesn't do GPU passthrough

Edited by sausuke
  • 11 months later...

I am on this as well... but with the slight advantage that some gpus work.

I have a Setup with 4 gpus 2 1030s 1 rtx 2070 Super and 1 3060 gtx.

The thought behind this is that one of the 1030 is for my wifes vm. The other 1030 is for unraid itself (whatever unraid needs a gpu for)

The 2070 is for my vm. The 3060 (because of the 12 gb) is for stable diffusion docker.

So now i had quite an odysee of upgrading downgrading and lastly sticking with Unraid 6.12.3, but the downside is.... the 2070 does not work with my vm anymore.... 

neither does the 3060

BUT(!) the 1030 does.....

I am stumped... I mean it's better than nothing but it is certainly NOT what i'd prefer....