Lost In Configuration - Adaptec 71605

I thought I read everything I needed before buying this Adaptec 71605 and an additional 16TB Exos drive.

I've filled all the sata ports on my B550 VISION D-P MB and thought this would be the next step to adding storage.

Problem is, I see the light on the card and I can hear/feel the drive spin up, but I don't get any new drive information.

I don't even know what to look for anymore as I've started getting desperate downloading old storage manager applications. I can't get the card to work on my windows machine either.

Shamelessly... where do I need to start?

2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Did you flash it to 9211, or was it supposed to be flashed already?

It was supposed to be pre-flashed

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QJCQ76S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I'm guessing next step is to follow this guide and make sure it actually has proper firmware?

I do also see people saying they have problems with the first slot, so I may try moving that.

53:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS 2008 [Falcon] [1000:0073] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i [1000:9240]
    Kernel driver in use: megaraid_sas
    Kernel modules: megaraid_sas

Controller is not flashet to IT mode, it will work like that if you create individual jbod/raid0 volumes for all disks, but it's not recommended, you should flash it to IT mode.

19 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Did you read the reviews on that page? A large number of them complain about it not being properly flashed.

13 hours ago, JorgeB said:
53:00.0 RAID bus controller [0104]: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS 2008 [Falcon] [1000:0073] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Broadcom / LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-8i [1000:9240]
    Kernel driver in use: megaraid_sas
    Kernel modules: megaraid_sas

Controller is not flashet to IT mode, it will work like that if you create individual jbod/raid0 volumes for all disks, but it's not recommended, you should flash it to IT mode.

Pretty sure I just bricked my card.

The firmware was out of date. I followed instructions to a T deleting old firmware using FreeDOS, then loading up new firmware with sas2flash, I assured it was using the proper firmware,... But after shutting down and moving systems, it no longer boots with any system.

At this point, I don't feel comfortable with sas cards. They are supposed to be more reliable than just a pcie to sata, right?

I'm thinking of just going with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09K4WKHKK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A30D00PBBJUKCM&psc=1

Any downside to the ASM1166? This one should just drop in and work, right? No speed difference?

I have two potentially dead cards if anyone wants them.