Behaviour with reconstruct write on, still reading from destination drive.

Around 18 months ago i expanded my array by adding another 2 8tb disks, ever since then reconstruct write doesn't seem to work as it should.

With reconstruct write on unraid is still reading from the destination disk and also the parity disk. Slowing down operations to basically read/modify/write speeds. I've ignored it up until now.

Tried to google the answer myself but every post talks about slow write speeds not the fact that disk is still reading when it shouldn't be.

Pre array expansion with 'Turbo write' on i would see pure writing to destination and parity, now you see as below.

Anything i can do to fix this?

File copy from disk 1 > disk 3

Reconstruct write onfirefox_2022-08-24_19-01-54.thumb.png.c6e71a8f94d20f49c2d007506a3d0fe9.png

Reconstruct write offfirefox_2022-08-24_19-00-49.thumb.png.0cce433f8ed3e4dd9f2084841c12bf4e.png

unraid-diagnostics-20220824-1902.zip

Edited by Mr.Cake
grammar

That's because you're also reading from the array, when you do so it'll bounce back and forth between both modes. If your copy source is not on the array you'll see what you expect.

Full speed reconstruct write needs full read bandwidth from all drives, so if you're also reading from one it'll be impossible to achieve and you'll end up with pretty much the same situation than read-modify-write where a disk has to seek back and forth.

Edited by Kilrah
  • 4 months later...

Since i haven't found a solution, I'm going to recreate the array to try and fix this.

Am I able to keep the cache drive as storage while removing all the spinners from the array? I'll be zeroing the drives if necessary, is there some way to have unraid forgot drive assignments so i can test if that fixes it first?

To be clear i've removed all plugins, docker is off, no vm's and it still happens. For whatever reason unraid feels the need to read from destination disk when it doesn't need to. The reading only occurs when you start a transfer. Would be great to know why this has happened though, won't be able to restart next time.

I think seafile might be breaking diagnostics , attach what it has grabbed before it fails.

unraid-diagnostics-20230115-0204.zip

20 hours ago, Mr.Cake said:

Am I able to keep the cache drive as storage while removing all the spinners from the array?

You can keep it intact but won't be able to used without any array devices assigned.

20 hours ago, Mr.Cake said:

is there some way to have unraid forgot drive assignments so i can test if that fixes it first?

Tools -> New config