Cannot create an cache drive pool after server getting shutdown and rebooted.

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I just tore my server down to clean everything out and upon starting it back up I was unable to mount my cache drive pool. I then proceeded to update my server from version 6.9.2 to 6.10.3.  After trying to mount the drives I said screw it and wiped the drives and formatted them. I even went into tools and did a new config. I have changed out my cables to my drives and tried multiple things but cannot get the drives to mount in a pool. Please help here are my logs.

tower-syslog-20220909-1533.zip

More info: I am getting an unraid error and I cannot mount more then one drive in my cache pool. Not sure what went wrong. I disassembled my server and cleaned it and put it back together and then could not remount my cache pool. Upon rebooting from the GUI the server would hang with a usb error. I then proceeded to replace the usb key updating to the latest version of unraid and that fixed the boot issue hanging. I then wiped and formatted all of my cache drives and still cannot mount more then one cache drive in a pool without getting a invalid pool config or no pool uuid. I also have an error on my parity drive stating ERROR: cannot scan /dev/sdf1: Input/output error.

• Solution
Sep  9 15:01:30 Tower emhttpd: /mnt/cache ERROR: cannot scan /dev/sdf1: Input/output error

This is the problem, sdf is parity and because you have an odd number of btrfs arrays devices makes it look like parity has an invalid btrfs filesystem and causes issues during btrfs device scan, it's a known issue but there's no fix for now, workaround is to use xfs only for the array, use btrfs encrypted, or have an even number of btrfs array devices, this last option usually works but not always.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:
Sep  9 15:01:30 Tower emhttpd: /mnt/cache ERROR: cannot scan /dev/sdf1: Input/output error

This is the problem, sdf is parity and because you have an odd number of btrfs arrays devices makes it look like parity has an invalid btrfs filesystem and causes issues during btrfs device scan, it's a known issue but there's no fix for now, workaround is to use xfs only for the array, use btrfs encrypted, or have an even number of btrfs array devices, this last option usually works but not always.

Can't I just convert my array drives all over to XFS one at a time?
Granted it I would have to rebuild the drive, but is it safe to rebuild a drive with the parity showing the error. 

Tower root: ERROR: cannot scan /dev/sdf1: Input/output error

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Issn't this just the issue with the parity drive. How does this affect the cache pool at all?

1 hour ago, ToXicreloadz said:

ssn't this just the issue with the parity drive. How does this affect the cache pool at all?

Because until now the error, caused by parity appears to have a btrfs filesystem,  interferes with the pool device scan, those errors will be ignored starting with rc5.

16 minutes ago, ToXicreloadz said:

I just need to know if it's safe to do so with the current status of the parity drive.

It is, assuming parity is valid, other issue won't affect the array.

3 hours ago, ToXicreloadz said:

That's not a problem. I just need to know if it's safe to do so with the current status of the parity drive.

Just so we're completely clear on this since you mentioned rebuilding and are still thinking about parity in relation to this.

After formatting to a new filesystem, you can't rebuild the data that was on the disk.

On 9/10/2022 at 6:00 AM, JorgeB said:

Once I added another BTRFS drive into the array and rebooted the issue has been resolved.

• Like 1