Google Music

kizer

I just picked up a beta trail to Google Music. From what I can tell its kinda like iTunes online. I'm currently uploading some of my music to their server and I can stream it to my Android phone or I can listen to it via their webpage.

Currently you can store 20,000 songs. There doesn't seem to be any settings for bitrate so I can only guess its takeing what you upload and downscaling it to reduce size, but I'm not really sure. As well there doesn't seem to be any options to download music once its uploaded so there isn't an option to pool your music or share.

My reasons for likeing it I'm able to upload and listen to my tunes at work via a web interface without plugging in my phone or copying music to my work PC. As well if I decided I want to listen to some music on my phone I can stream or click a button and download to my phone for offline playing.

The current app to upload your music is kinda simple, but what I don't like is if you have a large collection of tunes in a folder it would load all of your music unless you add each folder indvidually.

http://music.google.com

So far invites. I'll post up here when I know or have one. ;)

I'm guessing if anything the invites are based on usage.

Yeah so far from what I understand its US only.

All I know for sure is when I signed up it took nearly 2 weeks to get an invitation from google.

Currently you can store 20,000 songs.  There doesn't seem to be any settings for bitrate so I can only guess its takeing what you upload and downscaling it to reduce size, but I'm not really sure.

I'm wondering about this as well.  I have 19,874 songs to upload.  Got my invite last week...just haven't allowed it to finish the upload. 

I got mine about a week ago. Haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet. I use subsonic already so I'll have to see if this will offer me more flexibility or just stay with that solution for streaming to my phone.

I like subsonic because it downloads to your device so you can listen to it offline without downloading it since well it does it automatically. Google Music you have to tell it to download, which I find kinda annoying.

The only reason I don't use Subsonic is I don't want to open that port up on my router for others to try and hit and get in.

I've been using Google Music Beta for a couple weeks now also.  I do rather like it, but it has some serious bugs and missing features.  Here's what I've noticed:

Android App: Randomly gets stick on 'repeat track' forever (a manual 'next song' button press will fix it), doesn't work well with music widgets, no way to delete a track from the library, no rating system.

PC Systray App: It uploaded about 2500 songs over a few days and then just stopped, it hasn't seemed to upload any more (even though I gave it over 20,000).

Web Browser App: I haven't found any bugs with this yet, although I've only used it a handful of times.  I use almost exclusively the Android app.

I do think it is very cool that I can stream my music while in the car...

Did some searching and found something interesting.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Apps/thread?tid=7bf577a42554180a&hl=en

The problem I'm seeing is some songs don't upload. Seems like if some songs are not tagged it can't/wont upload.

I just wanted to chime in here and explain my solution to this problem.  I use a program called Mp3tag, found at www.mp3tag.de.  Every time I ran these files through Mp3tag, it added ID3v1, ID3v2, and APEv2 tags to my mp3's.  I noticed that the files that were failing did not have the APEv2 tag.  Once I ran them through Mp3tag and it added the APEv2 tag to the files, music manager picked it up right away and successfully uploaded the files.  All of my mp3's have been encoded with Roxio, at 128 kbps, with the LAME encoder.  I hope this helps everyone.

If you choose to try this method, you will have to adjust some settings in the Mp3tag program.  Go to Tools, and select Options.  Select  Tags, and ensure that ID3v1, ID3v2, and APEv2 are checked in the Write section.  Good luck and enjoy!!

My friend uses Subsonic on his WHS and he created an account for me to use it. It's pretty damn nice.

I was using SubSonic over the weekend and decided to stop simply because it well was another open port. Other than that I do agree Subsonic is awesome.

• 9 months later...

The million dollar question is how can I run the uploading app on unraid or how can I upload from my unraid server without the use of another machine? I also have bought and use subsonic, it is awesome but it doesn't hurt to have redundancy among other reasons, plus upload speeds are hideous here.