[SOLVED] unable to resume or cancel paused disk rebuild

moose

I was rebuilding a disabled disk (#13) and into the disk rebuild process I noticed another data disk (#5) with read errors.  I paused the rebuild operation and then ensured the breakout cable was seated into the disk 5 cage and I also pulled disk 5 from the cage and re-seated it.

Now when I attempt to resume the disk rebuild or cancel the disk rebuild, nothing occurs, the rebuild operation remains paused.  I've attached diagnostics and a screenshot of the GUI interface.  Any recommendations?

GUI2.png

GUI1.png

artoo-detoo-diagnostics-20220914-2109.zip

3 hours ago, moose said:

I paused the rebuild operation and then ensured the breakout cable was seated into the disk 5 cage and I also pulled disk 5 from the cage and re-seated it.

You did all this under power? Probably something didn't work with this "hotswap" operation. Probably safer to reboot and start rebuild over anyway.

You should add custom SMART attributes 1 and 200 for monitoring on WD disks. Your disk13 has some on both of those.

No SMART report for disk5 (sdk) in those diagnostics. Syslog seemed to indicate an actual disk problem.

See if you can get disk5 to show up, reboot and post new diagnostics.

20 hours ago, trurl said:

You did all this under power? Probably something didn't work with this "hotswap" operation. Probably safer to reboot and start rebuild over anyway.

You should add custom SMART attributes 1 and 200 for monitoring on WD disks. Your disk13 has some on both of those.

No SMART report for disk5 (sdk) in those diagnostics. Syslog seemed to indicate an actual disk problem.

See if you can get disk5 to show up, reboot and post new diagnostics.

Yes, all was done with the system on.  I enabled Smart attributes 1 and 200 or 1 for all WD disks (some WD did not have SMART attribute 200).

I was able to do a clean shut down through the GUI.  I rebooted and disk 5 is disabled (disk 13 is emulated and ready for data rebuild).  I ran a short self test on disk 5 and it passed, now am running an extended test on disk 5.  Attached are new diagnostics.

I will wait for the extended test to complete and advice before proceeding.  Array is not started.

artoo-detoo-diagnostics-20220915-2103.zip

Edit:  The extended test failed for disk 5.  The SMART report is attached.

artoo-detoo-smart-20220915-2133.zip

Edited by moose

Will do.  Thank you JorgeB and trurl for your help!  Very appreciated!

I ran another extended SMART test on disk 13 and it failed, so I ended up replacing both disk 5 and 13.  The data rebuild on both disks completed successfully.  The problem is fixed and I'm up and running again!  Thank you!!

Edited by moose
  • moose changed the title to [SOLVED] unable to resume or cancel paused disk rebuild