[unraid 6.11.0] How to install screen ?

Go to solution Solved by Doommius,

I've been trying to run rsync via nohup, however it is failing with the following errors.

rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at io.c(518) [generator=3.2.6]
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at rsync.c(713) [sender=3.2.6]
rsync: [receiver] write error: Broken pipe (32)

From what I've gathered this is due to an issue with nohup. I then went to install screen from the Slackware repo and installed the two packages mentioned in the wiki screen and utempter

wget http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/a/utempter-1.2.0-i586-3.txz
installpkg utempter-1.2.0-i586-3.txz

wget http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/ap/screen-4.9.0-i586-1.txz
installpkg screen-4.9.0-i586-1.txz

When I then try to execute the screen command, I get the following.

root@Tower:/usr/bin# screen
screen        screen-4.9.0

root@Tower:/usr/bin# screen-4.9.0
-bash: /usr/bin/screen-4.9.0: No such file or directory

root@Tower:/usr/bin# screen
-bash: /usr/bin/screen: No such file or directory

Am I doing something incorrect here or missing something?

It's also mentioned that screen is available via the NerdPack but since this is deprecated in 6.11 it wasn't of much help.

Fixed. I installed the wrong versions. To do it correctly run the following code as od 2022/10/03

cd /boot/extra

wget http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64/a/utempter-1.2.0-x86_64-3.txz
installpkg utempter-1.2.0-x86_64-3.txz

wget http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/slackware64/ap/screen-4.9.0-x86_64-1.txz
installpkg screen-4.9.0-x86_64-1.txz

Edited by Doommius
Found issue and added solution
35 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think because everyone seems to have it, I assumed it was in the base :)   I wonder what proportion of users do NOT have the UD Preclear plugin?

Is it recommended installing the plugin? I've just setup my server and I am currently ingesting data from some NTFS drives. 

56 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think because everyone seems to have it I assumed it was in the base :)   I wonder what proportion of users do NOT have the UD Preclear plugin?

Because of the history of preclearing disks on the early versions of Unraid, it's become ingrained in the culture here.  I suspect most everyone installs it.

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

Because of the history of preclearing disks on the early versions of Unraid, it's become ingrained in the culture here.  I suspect most everyone installs it.

It would make sense with used drives maybe. if case that they contain sensitive content and such. but with no drives it seems weird. maybe burning them in in case they're defective or have issues? that would make more sense. 

27 minutes ago, Doommius said:

Is it recommended installing the plugin? I've just setup my server and I am currently ingesting data from some NTFS drives. 

Preclear was initially a necessity when installing new disks in early versions of Unraid because the array was off-line while a disk was being cleared.  It is no longer needed, but many feel more comfortable exercising new disks before installing them in the array.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

I think because everyone seems to have it I assumed it was in the base :)   I wonder what proportion of users do NOT have the UD Preclear plugin?

I was wondering about this myself. I noticed tmux was not in release notes, and I had to install it in /boot/extra. I don't use preclear on my main server, if I want to preclear a disk I do it from my backup server using an external USB enclosure since I don't have any slots to spare on either server.