My shinny completely new unraid server!

opentoe

For some very odd reason I couldn't even post or boot at all. Nothing would show on the monitor I hooked up to it, couldn't even get in the BIOS.. Would just sit there. Troubleshooted for a few hours, and really never though taking the motherboard out of the case would make it boot. I'm too nervous to put it back in, maybe there is a short, or electric issue and don't want to fry anything. Anyway I was preparing to switch over to another case so it will stay like that until I have all the parts for the upgrade. I wish I knew what the problem was.

unraid setup.jpg

Edited by opentoe

All the standoffs are good, I've made the mistake while ago and kept shorting out a system. Now, I make sure. I have no speaker, just 4 LED lights that stay lit up in certain patterns which points me a little. I'll make sure later, if I install it again to make sure there's no metal touching anything it shouldn't, stuff like that.

10 hours ago, opentoe said:

All the fans in the system went on and stayed on. It was a dead machine, fans running. Soon as I removed it from the case it has been in for years booted up the very first time. It is doing a VERY slow parity check so I'm just going to leave it there for now.

It's quite possibly something as simple as the incorrect orientation of the 4-pin CPU cable.

The only way to know is to put everything back in while paying extra attention to the alignment of the various connectors, especially of the 4-pin.