docker array usage monitoring

droopie

i have my drives set to spin down after 15minutes and have lately noticed that a docker is reading/writing every few minutes enough to spike it on netdata and spin it up. is there a way i can check what docker is doing it besides turning them all off (only the dockers pointing to the array) and waiting? i already checked the most common things like plex's auto update and all that is disabled. i also dont have any autoscan scripts. the only thing i do have is mover but that runs every hour and i dont believe it would trigger it as there is nothing to move on the cache. hoping that there is something out that will list all the containers and show data similar to windows task manager where it shows the usage for cpu, disk, network etc so i can see the spin up on the disk.

6 hours ago, Squid said:

Is the appdata share (and the system share) completely on the cache drive?

i did the compute button on appdata share and only see the cache listing. i am also checking dockers that are pointing to a share other then user/appdata or cache/appdata. its a long process of waiting but am manually turning on 1 at a time to see if i can see which 1. im narrowing it down and i think it might be nextcloud for some reason but i am not sure as i am the only user on it and its a brand new install but havnt configured anything on it yet after installing it a couple of weeks ago. 

Edited by droopie
14 hours ago, droopie said:

the only thing i do have is mover but that runs every hour and i dont believe it would trigger it as there is nothing to move on the cache.

There may be nothing to move but it still has to figure that out, it will start drives to list files both sides everytime. You typically want to run the mover at most once a day during downtime, not every hour.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:15 PM, Squid said:

Nextcloud is notorious for keeping the drive(s) that the shares it has access to spun up 24/7

after a few days of running only 1 docker at a time, it is nextcloud that is keeping the disk running. since i have a share for nextcloud for its /data in the container and its a fresh setup without any customization, only the disk that has the initial /data files is the drive that is spinning up. after i turn off the docker container for nextcloud, the drive spins down. i am really not sure what is different. i had nextcloud installed before for a few months and i didnt have this issue. i had nextcloud installed the same way, just installed it without any users or customization or even smtp setup. i just installed it just to have it. the only reason i had to reinstall it was because i switched from mysql to mariadb. followed spaceinvaders guide for both times i installed it. if it is going to keep spinning up the drives like this for no reason, it makes me just want to uninstall it. i only wanted it for maybe possibly my daughter to easily have a google drive alternative for school work and to unload some of her phone files to the server but honestly i rather have another app that would allow me access sync files directly to the array with the option to share files to friends/family via a link. if i delete files from the array, i dont want to have to run a command to dump the ghost files and not from the app. ill give file browser and filerun a try but i am hoping i can find a fix for spinning down these drives tho. 

Edited by droopie